Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sizing Ghost Riot 7?
  • davehenryv
    Free Member

Right. May have been rash here. I have just ordered Ghost Riot LC7 from chain reaction at a great knock down price. I looked at the size giude on their website and for my slightly stumpy stature of 173cm Size given was a 48cm (19in) frame. I made the purchase…
    Just looked on the ghost website and it recommends a 40cm frame.

Anyone here got one that could give advice?

It was bad enough trying to explain the expense to the Missus. Don’t think I could face the backlash if it doesn’t fit…!!

flyingmonkeycorps

I would have thought a 19″ would be a bit on the large side, but I’ve not ridden that specific bike. 40cm sounds more sensible (I’m 5’11 and I mostly ride 17″ / 44cmish frames).

Will depend on your shape and that of the bike though – if you have longish arms and the standover is ok you *might* be alright. Can you send it back to CRC and get the smaller one?

davehenryv
    Free Member

I ride a Moda Presto in a small frame size now and sometimes on tight turns I catch my foot on the front wheel. Just read the Ghost website again and its a 44CM recommended…. Standover should be OK.

The bike was a clearance item from CRC. They have a 40cm frame which they are stating as being 15.75in. That could be too small.

They will accept “unused” returns. But how will I know if it fits without using?

flyingmonkeycorps

I guess therein lies the issue with buying online… Anyone you know ride a Ghost? *shouts to the hive mind* – anyone ride a Ghost?

davehenryv
    Free Member

Here’s to spontaneity :-)….

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha… You never know, you might get lucky!

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ghost AMR+, it’s a 48cm, and I have ridden a size 44cm Riot a bit. I’m 5’9 and personally I would buy a 48cm Riot, but I will say I like a long, long tt. I had no problems riding the 44cm at all, and would probably get used to it. The guy I sold it to was about 5’7 – 5’8 and he absolutely loved it.

davehenryv
    Free Member

Shorter stem perhaps?

jimjam
    Free Member

davehenryv

Shorter stem perhaps?

You’re gonna need one. I run a 50mm stem on my AMR which has about a 595mm tt. The Riot 48cm has a 610mm tt, which is about as long as I would personally like to go. Your other concern would be stand over clearance. The reason I can get away with a 48cm in the AMR+ is that it has a silly low bb height in real world terms. The riot seems to sit a bit higher. An offset bushing to drop the bb might be in order, but then you might be into issues with ghost’s needle bearing shock mounts. That’ll need changed to standard hardware.

I hmmm’d and ha’d about getting one, but the cost, coupled with may horrendous experience dealing with Ghost’s warranty system, and the fact that every carbon ghost I’d ever seen had cracked kind of put me off.

davehenryv
    Free Member

Looking again.. Think this is where I went wrong. The sizing chart on CRC website is showing AMR lector 2013 frame sizes not Riot. I just seen AMR Lector and thought geometry would be the same. I’m goin to call CRC tomorrow see what advice they can give…. Bike has not been dispatched yet.

God I’m dreading the smug face on her if this all goes wrong….

davehenryv
    Free Member

Downloaded the Ghost brochure from their website. They have changed the way they size bikes. In the brochure for my height it is showing size M which is the old 48cm. Now more confused than ever.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d ignore the seat tube sizes and go on reach or effective top tube. Most of my bikes are around 590mm to 600mm on the top tube (effective) and I’m about 180cm tall, so unless you like a long stretched out riding position I’d say that it might be too big for you based on a 610mm top tube. But, you might have gibbon like arms or something, so it might work, but best to base it on bikes that you know and love.

davehenryv
    Free Member

There is a common perception amongst my comrades that I have seriously short arms and very long pockets….I consider my arms to be average length, maybe its the fact that I still consider my 1974 Birmingham bags to be stylish wear for the wine bar…

Measured my present bike and the effective cockpit is not much shorter than the Riot.

If the bike ever gets dispatched I’ll sit on it and see the fit.

Keep your eyes peeled for as new Riot on the classifieds…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

FWIW I think they look like a nice bike! Hopefully it’ll fit and you’ll have a good time on it!

poah
    Free Member

I’m 167cm (30inch inside leg) and I have a 44cm ghost.

davehenryv
    Free Member

So anyway. Went the Peak district at the weekend and while there had a try out on my mates Scott 29er. This bike is a medium frame and dwarfs my current Moda. Found the reach and stand over OK so hopefully the Ghost should fit. I’m also going to get my local bike shop to set up the bike which they agreed to do and if I feel the need will get a shorter stem.

But then again this all depends on the Damn bike showing up….

walleater

May also depend on whether the Reverb Stealth will drop far enough into the frame for you if you are possibly slightly small for the frame. You might need to get the shorter travel Reverb as the larger Riots come with longer posts.

davehenryv
    Free Member

Don’t know what all the fuss was about.Took the bike on it’s first ride round an easy local loop.
    It’s a big bike yeah but it fits like a glove. Reverb still has a bit of play to drop… Reach is good. Ride is great. acceleration ( even with a lardy like me powering the thing) is awesome. Seems There are a lot of pessimists on here…. 😀

Only one thing I noticed…. For a bike with a high bottom bracket the pedal doesn’t half hit the ground a lot when cornering…. Have to work on that one.
    But gotta say This is one big fat happy bunny at the minute…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Good to hear it! Glad it worked out for you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sizing Ghost Riot 7?’ is closed to new replies.