Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Size of garage vs number of bikes…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m in the lucky position of looking for a new house, predominantly to get a garage for the n+1 collection.

Seen places with single, 1 1/2 and double garages, and a few with no garage but space to build one. Can’t work out how big it needs to be though. Obviously a massive barn would be ideal, but that’s not going to happen. Need to store things like spare car wheels, roof-box and family outdoors kit. And the bikes. Present collection is 5ish for me, 1 for the wife and 1 each for the two boys. Tag-along, and a couple of other kids bikes for when they grow into them, and I can see the wife and boys wanting a couple each in the long run. Also need space for tool/spares storage, an decent sized workbench with vice and my mini-milling machine (and hopefully joined in the future with a mini-lathe and possibly pillar drill). And need space to actually use a workstand, and a turbo-trainer (although not at the same time).

So, show me pics of the inside of your garages, what’s the relationship between garage size and number of bikes that can realistically be stored, worked on and accessed easily?

nemesis
    Free Member

I think you’d be pushed with a single garage for all the things you’ve listed though it’d be possible. A 1.5 or double would be much better.

I’ve recently gone from a double to a single. We’ve got about 6 adult bikes and various kid’s ones plus kiddie trailer, kids scooters and so on plus a tumble drier, storage and a workbench. It all fits in but there’s not a lot of spare room. If you add in bulk things like a roof box and car wheels you’d struggle.

TiRed

We have hanging space for 17 bikes in our single garage. There is room for a work stand, shelving and a turbo trainer. The dining room serves as the workshop.

lunge

Storage and height are the key. I have a single garage with 6 bikes (all are XL in size, one of which is a huge cargo bike), tumble drier, work bench, work stand, lots of football kit along with usual garage DIY stuff, it all fits fine.

Bikes are stored off the group, I use 3 cheap Aldi stands that store one bike above another, this means that (with a bit of overlap and careful angling) all 6 bikes are on one wall and I can get at them all easily. The other side I have a big set of steel shelves that take up about 1/2 the length and hold all the DIY stuff (top shelf, used the least so hardest to get to, step ladder needed), the football kits (in boxes to save space) along with my spares box and other such stuff, tyres and things that I don’t mind getting a bit mucky sit on the floor underneath it all and various other things hand from it (shoes mainly, along with old chains and other stuff too bit for boxes.Work bench is at the top of the garage, tumble drier sits underneath, tools on a shelf above along with iPod dock and various chargers.

It’s a bit cluttered but it does work.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have managed 11 bikes on the back wall of our garage. Although its a double, the car goes in one side, so only half the wall is bike covered.

br
    Free Member

This use to be my garage, you can’t see the fridge/freezer/tumble and washing machine, tablesaw and double wardrobe – and that is a 1050cc motorbike on the right…

I’ve now two of these – they’re over 10 metres long 🙂

Obviously a massive barn would be ideal, but that’s not going to happen.

It could.

dantsw13

Having given up my double garage to a family room conversion, and moved into a smaller workshop in the garden, bigger is definately better. I never have enough space anymore.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It could.

😀

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Looking to build a double car garage, with a secure dedicated bike room at back, in the back garden, built with block. Not a double width but double length. I have sort of planned it out and works at 40ft x 12ft. Still need to check planning permissions etc though. I can get all the supplies through work, it’s the actual building I would need to get done.

Tracey

Ours is split between my car, the bikes and other stuff.
    Down the side of the car is Dexion shelving with most of the bike spares and tools on that with a compressor wall mounted but portable.
    Down the other side has hooks and mounts above car level for snowboarding gear, ladders and trestles.
    The rear is split into two levels for the bikes with the second level for further spares and windsurfing boards and gear.
    The top of the freezer doubles as a workbench.

All fits in nice and cosy

Candodavid
    Free Member

Nice animal tracks in your floor^^

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Tracey – is that a single garage? Like the idea of the split level.

b r -I’m jealous. 10m long you say? I wonder….

benp1

Some of the single garages I’ve seen are massive, and some, like mine, are tiny

A big single garage has a huge amount of scope

Mine is tiny (no proper car these days would fit in), and its also fairly low. I can hit my head on the beams with a helmet on

I use mine for a motorbike, 3 bikes, double trailer, storage, work table and lots of tools

A full size single garage is massive though!

matt_outandabout

7×4 shed has four bikes, and most of our canoeing kit, in.
    8×10 shed has all our DIY, lawnmower and five more bikes in.

Tracey

Its just over the width of a single garage and runs the length of the house. We got the extra height due to the ground sloping away from back to front. We could have had the split level coming over the car but I didn’t want to walk in one day and find it collapsed due to the weight.
    We set the height so we could walk under without bending. Its now a lot tidier than the pics and we have added hooks down either side at the back for rug sacks and helmets. There are also washing lines between the joists so that wet coats, over trousers and pads can be hung to dry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Size of garage vs number of bikes…’ is closed to new replies.