Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sixc crank/M8000 bb compatibility?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

If DPD/Wiggle get their act together, sometime tomorrow I will be swapping my XT M8000 cranks for some carbonz Sixc cranks.

I’ve just noticed the new Sixc cranks come with a 30mm spindle, but looking around I think the M8000 cranks have a 24/25mm spindle meaning the Sixc cranks won’t fit the M8000 bb I already have?

I can’t measure the spindle as I ‘m not home until tomorrow, can anyone confirm if I need a new 30mm bb or not?

Thanks.

stuc
    Free Member

You will need a bsa30 bb.

External cups but larger diameter to suit 30mm spindle.

I’ve got 2 Hope ones which seem to be holding up as well as normal hope bb’s so that’s my recommendation. Just note if your fitting it you will also need the specific tool from hope which I think is about £12.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bollocks.

Thanks.

It’s a threaded bb shell so was going to go for the Hope 30mm jobbie?

stuc
    Free Member

Yes the Hope BSA30

Bsa refers to the thread, 30 the diameter

fd3chris
    Free Member

You can also get the rotor 30mm bb and it’s cheaper and comes with the tool and gets good reviews. £45 all in on CRC.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ah, thanks Stu. Will go for that one then

Thanks Chris but I’m supposed to out for a ride tomorrow and can get the Hope locally for a bit more.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Actually just reread all of that, so the Hope needs a specific tool?

stuc
    Free Member

Yes, the hope has its own tool – obviously similar to a bb cup tool but larger diameter. I think it’s also specific to the hope bsa30 cups so different I believe to say the rotor bsa30 tool, or that’s the impression I got.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Double bollocks!

Can’t get one of those tomorrow it seems.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m in the same position. Waiting for bb lol.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Rotor

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hope 30mm bb now fitted thanks to the top lads at Merlin!

Just the shower of shite at DPD/Wiggle who have let me down with the cranks.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got my cranks but no bb from CRC. I did only order it a few days ago though.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Triple bollocks.

The very tired Mike from DPD managed to deliver my cranks at 6.45pm this evening only for me to discover that the chainring lockring can’t be tightened with my cassette lockring tool as I’d assumed.

Looks like another lie in. Did you get your bb sorted Chris?

fd3chris
    Free Member

No mate cranks are looking all lonely in my toolbox and the bb is in the mystical ether.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I was drop 178 of 195 today. I thought he’d pack in at 5 but fair play he arrived when predicted.

Hopefully you’ll get your hands on it in time for the weekend.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Cool your ready to go. Yea looks like the wkd for me .

vincienup
    Free Member

The RaceFace BSA 30mm BB is another option for regular 68/73mm threaded shells wanting to run 30mm cranks.

If fitting one be cautious of the instruction cartoon, there are two separate entries for driveside spacers not one single covering both… (short version: 73mm no spacer nds, one spacer DS)

Afaik all 30mm external BBs need a different tool than the standard Shimano – understandable as the cups are physically bigger…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sixc crank/M8000 bb compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.