Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sitting on the A30…
  • millzy
    Free Member

So I’ve just put petrol into my friends diesel car…

2003 focus, approximately half the tank was diesel half petrol… Drive for about a mike before it broke down….

How many thousands is this going to cost me to fix then?

matt_outandabout

Fix+pint

Merak

Wounder:( Its worse one way tho’ cannae mind which way.

leffeboy

I think it’s ok that way round isn’t it?

smg13
    Free Member

Nope youve probably knackered the fuel pump because its the diesel that lubricates it so thats broke and probably done the seals as well as they are not compatible with petrol so pretty exspensive I would say

leffeboy

Oops, looks like you’re right (well you knew that anyway). I also thought the diesel fuel cap was smaller that the petrol one to prevent this but I’ve got that the wrong way round as well.
    Every day is a school day at stw

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just think of the bike/upgrade you could have bought with what the repair is going to cost…

fingerbike
    Free Member

Think Audi (so you’d assume all new VAG cars) have a fuel cap that only opens for a larger diesel nozzle but not sure on others.

If it has killed the fuel pump: http://www.pbasher.com/look-up/index.php?carMakeID=2

Zedsdead
    Free Member

first thing I’d try is getting the tank emptied and then get some diesel in it.

Would one mile of driving really be enough to break the fuel pump? I only deal with petrol motors so don’t know?

Muke
    Free Member

About 40 mins and £229 for the AA fix it.

smg13
    Free Member

Well the usual advice is dont even start it so 1 mile at ??mph is not gonna do it any good!!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I reckon it’ll be fine (fingers crossed)

Have a read here – Petrol in a Diesel

jamesey
    Free Member

i have a friend who did this.£50 unleaded in an almost empty tank
    of diesel drove 10 miles. AA called pumped out the tank £160.
    i havent had any problems as a result . i mean my friend.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Did the same to a new autism, drove it about 10 miles, parked, couldn’t start it then realised what I’d done. Flushed out the engine and fuel filter and it’s fine.

sadmadalan

Did this twice on a Volvo. First time drove about 10 miles before strange noises. Garage pumped out the tank, filled with diesel and no problems. Second time realised my error before leaving the garage!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ach – it’ll be fine.

br
    Free Member

Get the AA/RAC service, sorted out my wife’s car when I did it.

And I then put the petrol/diesel mix into my petrol car, and it ran fine – no way was I throwing another £50 away, not a Yorkshireman for nothing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So your cat costs less than £50???

M1llh0use
    Free Member

At least it’s not a Nissan. They’re about £2k to fix for petrol in a diesel…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sitting on the A30…’ is closed to new replies.