Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 242 total)
  • SITS camping area…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

In light of how easy it to reach people nowadays with the likes of forums, facebook, twitter and the web in general – there really isn’t any excuse for not giving more info – even if it was just to say “everything is fine”.

I’d have to agree with this, I was looking for some info this afternoon and left with the same question as I started with.
    Where is SITS being held?

topangarider
    Free Member

Catton Park, near Burton on Trent

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

You going up then?

Nah, not this year! Can’t say I’m too gutted!

aa
    Free Member

fwiw, i’m a short ride away from catton, as described above, the trails are mostly dry but some parts are holding water. Having said that, the weather man says rain for the next week. I’ll be going by catton on wednesday, i’ll report back.

Nobby

Nah, not this year! Can’t say I’m too gutted!

More beer for me then, though it’d be good to catch up.

Nobby

Thanks aa – it’d be appreciated.

njee20
    Free Member

More beer for me then, though it’d be good to catch up.

It would be, should do a ride when summer arrives…

Nobby

when summer arrives…

*makes diary note for June 2016*

Kryton57

Five days forecast says heavey rain Tuesday and white fluffy clouds with possible showers every other day. Day time temps 20 degrees.

Just make sure you do the first laps before it all gets cut up.

will
    Free Member

Whilst I appreciate riding in the rain & mud isn’t that much fun, the whole event is meant to be a challenge!

Also the excuse of it being a 500 mile round trip or whatever is a little daft, when you signed up and paid your money you knew it was this far away, and knew that the weather might be crap. Unless you don’t mind loosing £60 by not turning up etc…

Thanks for the course updates from the locals.
    I think the biggest question though is the car parking and camping arrangements.
    I’m riding solo, either unsupported, or possibly supported by someone on crutches, so I’d like to know if I’ll be able to park and camp right alongside the course.
    I’ve been involved in a small way with organising big events myself and I know getting a few thousand people and their cars on and off a field is always a worry, but as others have said, it doesn’t take much effort to keep people informed.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well 2 teams, 9 people, 3 pit bitches, a p*key wagon, a camper van, tents, Gayzebra and beer.
    Would be nice to be all together.

hillsplease

Thanks AA, looking forwards to hearing. If ground conditions are gopping I’m not going as the course won’t bear up well, but that’s seemingly the way of endurance racing in the UK.

will
    Free Member

A quick side question:

One of our team members has just dropped out… Can we ride as a 3 in the team category?

MS
    Free Member

tree-magnet – Member

Don’t fancy racing round a muddy field for 24hours

I thought that was the whole point of endurance racing?

Try Relentless 24 then!!

MS
    Free Member

Also the excuse of it being a 500 mile round trip or whatever is a little daft, when you signed up and paid your money you knew it was this far away, and knew that the weather might be crap. Unless you don’t mind loosing £60 by not turning up etc…

Thankfully didn’t sign up so no money lost 😆

hillsplease

Some, myself included enter events in the hope that the conditions will be workable and then don’t ride if the course isn’t going to be rideable and do something else. Granted it’s not ideal but having been a number of MTB events where the course becomes unrideable in the wet I’d sooner lose the entry fee than spend a shockingly bad weekend ‘because I’ve paid to enter.’ Maybe it’s because I’m 42 and no longer target one race as the focus for my season.

will
    Free Member

I can see where you’re coming from, but for me I really look forward to these events, and even if the weather is bad it just adds to the challenge, after all, it’s the same for everybody!

hillsplease

Too right Will. As an old git I like to ride my bike not push it – but maybe that’s just me and a function of soloing. As a team you go and do it anyway because you can’t let mates down, even as you leave the comfort of the 3 am sleeping bag.

I accept and am content to forfeit my entry and that’s the risk you take with some events where the course is less ‘all weather’ than others. Be good to hear from the locals on Wednesday as to conditions and make an informed view.

topangarider
    Free Member

Thanks again in anticipation to the locals.

We’ll be going anyway and will have a jolly good time. If it’s muddy, we’ll maybe take it less seriously and just drink more!

sp
    Free Member

Should any solo peeps look to bail give me a shout 🙄

bazwadah
    Free Member

Bit twisted but I am hoping for conditions like Mayhem.. this year the team I was in got 14th in the mud, 2011 we were 80th as it was quite dry. this proves we can push bikes as slow as we can ride them and get better places if others drop out/sleep/drink beer!.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Right-o, so the course is in a reasonable state, atm, which is fine and dandy – I don’t have a problem with mud, anyway. What I really, no, really, really want to know is WHAT ARE THE CAMPING/PARKING ARRANGEMENTS AND WILL I NEED A CHALLENGER TANK TO PULL MY PIKEY WAGON OUT, COME MONDAY MORNING!!??? 🙄

Hells

Re the condition of the campsite, there were no problems getting out of the Thunder Run campsite on Sunday. But it is now raining in Derbyshire so things might change come the weekend!!

geoffj

toxicsoks – Member

Right-o, so the course is in a reasonable state, atm, which is fine and dandy – I don’t have a problem with mud, anyway. What I really, no, really, really want to know is WHAT ARE THE CAMPING/PARKING ARRANGEMENTS AND WILL I NEED A CHALLENGER TANK TO PULL MY PIKEY WAGON OUT, COME MONDAY MORNING!!???

Well the sun could come out this afternoon and bake the whole area rock hard for the weekend OR it could piss it down continually until then and transform the place into red neck’s mud wrestling wet dream.

*Wet = tents and cars separate
    Dry = tents and cars can be next to each other

*speculation, as I know nothing about the location, but I can apply a little logic

If we assume that weather forecasts are accurate ish up to about 3 days away, what do you suggest the organisers announce at this stage in proceedings?

Bullet

I’m gonna sulk if I have to take my Racing Ralph’s off 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Quick question for those of you using the phrase “pikey-wagon” – would you refer to, say, a minicab driven by a person who looked to be of Asian heritage as a “****-wagon”?

No? Why not?

topangarider
    Free Member

There’s a plan on the pro-velo support website for the camping arrangements last weekend. Whilst it shows the cars seperate to tents, it seems like they would just across the access road from your tent (hard to describe – go have a look). Suggests it might not be too bad if thats what your worried about.

I guess camper/caravan owners who want to set-up next to tents – can’t imagine the problem if you’re not moving it around all weekend but you’re careful getting it in in the first place. Maybe.

Saw a tweet from Pat yesterday just saying it was dry last weekend and he has his fingers crossed that it’ll stay dry.

will
    Free Member

Info on SITS Camping.

http://www.provelosupport.co.uk/?p=1185

Looks fine to me.

topangarider
    Free Member

Ha ha! That’s the same plan as for the Adidas Thunder run, but with a Sits logo!

Do we really think they’ll be a grandstand and big screen?

Seems to have missed the notes off the bottom though………

will
    Free Member

Notes are on the TR map. e nice if there is a big screen & grandstand 😆

njee20
    Free Member

That’s pretty poor!

Singletrackworld have got their name on this event, Mark’s posted on this thread, Chipps started the other thread that I mentioned, yet still no official news.

I’m riding solo and my support crew is on crutches.
    Can I park next to the course in the solo area ?

will
    Free Member

Good question Graham, from that map it would suggest not, although I’d like to see some photos from the TR to see how it all worked?

pete68
    Free Member

I’m in a camper van doing solo where will we camp. If I can’t get near course not sure I’ll bother going.

Potter
    Free Member

i still can’t believe that both stw and provelo have offered no real info with two days before the campsite opens

aa
    Free Member

the area isn’t looking too bad. There are wet claggy bits in the general area It’s been raining but looks like it’s drying out in the light breeze, am passing through burton tonight, will feed back.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Thank AA a good poster unlike all the other tossers who inhabit the site just to act as TROLLS
    You know who you are TOSSERS 😉
    There a smiley wink should make it OK

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘SITS camping area…’ is closed to new replies.