• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Sit stand desk?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Anyone of you using sit stand desk, whatever they are called, for your work at home or work?

What’s your set up like as I might need one due to lower back pain. I find sitting for a prolong period is making my lower back pain worst. Standing seems to solve the lower back pain but then I can feel the pressure on building my heels … hmmm … but moving about a bit solved that.

At the moment I use a box on my table while typing away so thinking of investing a sit stand desk from Ikea.

😮

T1000
    Free Member

Highly recommended, have a full height adjustable desk in Sweden and a riser module (sits on a regular des and adjusts from siting position to preset standing with a lever)

IME it’s good to alternate between positions and particularly good after lunch

peterfile
    Free Member

We’ve got some on order as I spend most of my time standing (hate sitting) but have had a few problems with my neck/shoulders by using my ghetto set up.

Definitely worth spending a bit of time on the ergonomics of standing and using a laptop/reading.

I space my stuff out a lot more too, since it’s easier to move around between things, so maybe go for either a dual set up or a bigger desk?

You’ll save a fortune on suits 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yep sweden here too, yes to stand up sit down desks, I alternate every hour or so. Highly recommended although it’s harder to be workshy and use singletrack forum when standing

chewkw
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    … ghetto set up.

😆

My “ghetto set up” is merely an empty pooter box at the moment. :mrgreen:

Do you guys use the standing mat? I ask because I can feel the pressure on my heels. I don’t know why rubber mat can be that expensive … arrrghhh …

At work I am sitting but I also work from home so bare footed and I can feel the pressure so wonder if those rubber mat helps?

😮

redwoods
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these at work. Didn’t suffer from a bad back before but they were being offered at work and I’d read a bit about the benefits of standing more anyway in general, so it seemed like a good thing to try.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve been using one for the last 10 months in a clients office. I seem to lose concentration when standing though. I found that sitting on a gym ball at a normal desk was more beneficial to core strength and posture.

binners

Do you not worry you’ll look a bit like a member of Kraftwerk. You could wear a tron suit and turn all the lights off….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I don’t use a standing mat but lots of colleagues do

simon_g

I’ve got the IKEA electric one at home. It’s great. Very much at the budget end of powered sit/stand desks but solid feeling and a far bigger range of motion than I need.

Don’t have a standing mat (yet) but tend not to stand for more than a couple of hours at a time.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

IKEA desk here too, I work from home and used to have back problems so made the decision to buy it myself.

I don’t have a mat but I probably stand for 1-3 hours a day when having meetings. My house isn’t warm so shoes are required for warmth and have enough padding for standing.

The biggest surprise for me is how high I have the desk for sitting. My desk is at 85cm, way higher than a regular desk, I think this has made the most difference to my back. Unlike Simon above I would have concerns about the range if you’re any taller than me, I’m 6’1″ and put the desk to the highest setting for standing, this is so I can rest my forearms on the desk and type, or lean on the desk while talking. The IKEA is desk is very sturdy and very heavy, it’s not in any danger of falling over!

Mark

chewkw
    Free Member

redwoods – Member
    I’ve got one of these at work.

That’s expensive as my entire budget is just around £175 + £35 for the standing chair from Ikea. I am going for the hand wind sit stand table.

The Ikea one sounds good and with my ergotron monitor arm I think the monitor is even suitable for someone who is more than 6’22”.

My comfortable typing hight is around 110cm to 120cm.

V8_shin_print – Member

IKEA desk here too, …

Nice working space you got there. Mine is a bit cluttered. 😮

If I work from home I usually spend around 3 to 5 hr sitting so it’s time to change that habit.

badnewz
    Free Member

If I work from home I usually spend around 3 to 5 hr sitting so it’s time to change that habit.

I do this most days. For half of the week I don’t even leave the house.

Was discussing this at the gym, where I do interval training twice a week, and the instructor said you need at least 30 mins activity every day otherwise you won’t see any results.

chewkw
    Free Member

badnewz – Member
    I do this most days. For half of the week I don’t even leave the house.

Was discussing this at the gym, where I do interval training twice a week, and the instructor said you need at least 30 mins activity every day otherwise you won’t see any results.

30 mins is not a lot so I think I can factor that in especially stretching as I realise I am not as flexible as I used to be. Getting older does not help … arrghhh …

ajc
    Free Member

V8, be careful you are not causing other issues having a desk so high. No one should have a desk at 85 cm high for sitting. It will put your arms too high when using a mouse or keyboard and may cause neck and shoulder problems in the future.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

No one should have a desk at 85 cm high for sitting

Interesting, I just set my chair so my feet are flat on the floor and my shins are vertical, then moved the desk height so it was comfortable. Am I doing it wrong?

Nice working space you got there

Only been here 9 months, that’s why it’s tidy! 🙂

ajc
    Free Member

The right sitting position is dependant on body size and shape as well as any existing medical conditions. Generally a tall person wouldn’t have a desk higher than around 75 cm. you need to make sure your shoulders are relaxed and 90 degree bend from upper to lower arm. Forearms pretty much horizontal and hands relaxed inline to the keyboard. I am sure that would put your desk lower. You will then need to raise your monitors to get them the right height. Your employer should provide someone to assess you, especially if you have had back problems at work. Moving around during the day and walking to the kettle regularly are also massive benefits.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

You should have your mouse in front of your keyboard too. In the centre of the body so you are not overworking one side / unbalancing the shoulders. Or so says the ergomist at work

ajc
    Free Member

Your ergonomist at work dosnt have a clue I’m afraid

chewkw
    Free Member

I know my shoulders, arms, legs and neck, after sitting for several hours, do suffer a lot. Not good. Shoulders become very tight for days. 😯

Apparently sitting for too long can/will be detrimental to health … arrghh … nobody told me that before … dammit! 😮

Clobber
    Free Member

@ajc, having the mouse in front of the keyboard, operating in front of the body has made a massive difference to me, found it by accident working in a narrow space, you haver the mouse pointing sideways… can’t recommend it enough!

chewkw
    Free Member

Clobber – Member

@ajc
    , having the mouse in front of the keyboard, operating in front of the body has made a massive difference to me, …

I found that more comfortable too but the problem is the available space.

ajc
    Free Member

Sit stand desks are really good, but so is going for a walk at lunch, standing when on the phone, moving round the office. A good ergonomist with musculoskeletal understanding such as a physio will be able to offer good advice and get you set up properly to help sort you out. Furniture suppliers often do workstation assessments, but the staff generally are not able to react to existing medical conditions.

ajc
    Free Member

if you have the mouse in front of the keyboard you then have to over reach to the keyboard which causes other problems especially if you do much keyboard work. It is not possible to tell someone how to set up their workstation without seeing how they are sitting or knowing what medical conditions they have.

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t mind walking to the kitchen (the one in the office) now and then for a brew but somehow there are “BB eyes” watching me doing that too often … 😀

I wonder if I should put in a request for a sit stand table because as a bureaucratic entity they are very much into health and safety but very tight on money … 🙄

JoeG
    Free Member
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Sit stand desk?’ is closed to new replies.