Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sit-on-top kayaks
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Fancy a sit on top cancoe for paddling on lakes. Does it make much difference if I go for an inflatable type or solid variety? Only going to be used on warm calm inland lakes. Decathlon have inflatable types for £250.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got a big inflatable one Daisy (ooohhh Matron!)

Its good fun and easy to transport but I think the non inflatable ones are better for proper kayaking etc.

Its this one. You can borrow it for a try if you want but you will have to be quick as the BIL is buying it.

redstripe
    Free Member

We bought a couple of the solid plastic islander types off this place last year:
    http://www.south-coast-canoes.co.uk/sit-on-top-kayaks/single-sit-on-tops.html
    Friendly service and knocked a fair bit off for buying 2 and chucked in backrests, plus paddles cheap too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    40mpg

I got a couple of rigid sit-on-tops last year as my daughter wanted one for passing her gcse’s (and of course I had to have one to accompany her).

I got her a 2nd hand Perception Scooter after asking on here, for about £250 which is a good price. It handles well, and is surprisingly quick to paddle, and is very stable.

Conversely, I went for a no-name brand in a bit of a rush. Its got a deep ‘keel’ which means it tracks very well, but you have to push it out further to get in, and often grounds in shallows when the Scooter paddles on. Its also about as hydro-dynamic as a brick, so is hard work paddling any distance.

For transport, I’ve got some bog standard roof bars and taped pipe insulation to them. The kayaks plop on top, on resting at 45 degrees on teh other, and strapped down with some Decathlon kayak straps which are ace, and cheap. I can just about lift each kayak on my own, but easy for 2 people to lift onto teh car.

I store them vertically in my gareage (its got a pitched roof) with a strap around them to stop them moving, up a against teh wall so take up hardly any room there. Kit lives in an Ikea bag! Again Decathlon is good for bouyancy aids. I also got some neoprene gloves and windsurf boots for when it s a bit chillier (definitely fairweather user) but otherwise shorts and t-shirt. Bouyancy aid and paddling a brick keeps me warm!

Got to say they are great fun, we use them in the sea mostly here (Southampton area) – off the beaches and in the natural harbours.

But definitely go for the brands – Perception, Ocean Kayaks, Feelfree – a bit more expensive but plenty of 2nd hand bargains around and they paddle much better.

Edit – you can get an idea of the difference in shape from these 2 pics

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rZzVcw]P4066555[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rZAU7f]P4216615[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

ollybus
    Free Member

I’ve got a cool inflatable type Sevylor canoe. Its brill, sea, lakes, rivers including the length of Wastwater and back.
    However, if you have the storage space / transportation i’d go a rigid. They paddle / track much better and faster!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’ve got a cool inflatable type Sevylor canoe. Its brill, sea, lakes, rivers including the length of Wastwater and back.
    However, if you have the storage space / transportation i’d go a rigid. They paddle / track much better and faster

I’ve got a Sevylor Colorado – it’s been loads of fun – we’ve done sea trips and also paddled in the Lakes, Wales and on the Wye. It packs down into the size of a large suitcase for transport and paddles pretty well for an inflatable (but isn’t great paddling up / cross wind) but as I’ve got a van I’m now thinking of selling it on and replacing it with a hard shell for the reasons described above. We also need something bigger to accommodate our son and dog!

I’m in Devon – if you are nearby you are welcome to take a look and try it out. Ping me a message if so.

andyfla
    Free Member

anyone know any friendly perception dealers ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Waves at Ben 😮
    If you want a non inflatable one I have a contact in the trade
    Chrisk

Spud

Bought my wife a Perception Gemini for her 30th and it’s been brilliant. A few years back bought a Scooter when down in Lyme Regis. We live in Nottingham and Desperate Measures are great, and from speaking to a lass out in the bay off Lyme Regis they’ll ship anywhere as she bought a pair of Scooters from them with all the kit. I got the Scooter from a place in Exeter, again were very helpful. At some point we’ll need another as the kids are now 9 & 7 and we will want to head out together.

andyfla
    Free Member

Rorschach – sent you an email, if that ok ?

northernmatt

Aldi have some inflatable ones for £40 from Sunday (I think)

scotroutes

I have a OK Prowler 13 I want to sell. Backrest, paddle etc. It’s a proper ocean-going angling model so might be more than you are after but only looking for £400.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That prowlers an ace boat. I had one, kitted out for fishing with echo sounder, anchor etc. Hard work paddling against the tide at times but fun. Easy to carry on roof rack upside down with a basic long ratchet strap

boxelder

The Aldi ones were in last sunday

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I bought one of the Aldi ones – it’s decent and will do the job for a while, but it’s not in the same ball park at the Seyvlor ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sit-on-top kayaks’ is closed to new replies.