Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Sister Wendy
  • DezB
    Free Member

When asked what she thought of Lorence Luwelin Bowin’s book choice of ‘Brideshead Revisited’ she said that she has a policy of never saying anything that will dampen someone’s enthusiasm about something they like.

What a lovely policy. I’m going to try to adopt it.
    (Might give the Catholic stuff a miss though.)
    Who’s with me?

Cougar

Looks like a bad habit to get into.

duckman

I take it Nuns don’t get dental?

DezB
    Free Member

They’re not real teeth. She wears them just to be distinctive.

djglover
    Free Member

We’ll be having nun of that

*Shakes Psalm in anger*

molgrips
    Free Member

I think she’s a top old lady, to be honest. And it is indeed a lovely sentiment.

PS is it not Llwelyn? Or is that dampening your enthusiasm for bad spelling? 🙂

Twin
    Free Member

Or even Llewelyn?

Stoner
    Free Member

or even Llewellyn?

actually, I know it’s Llewelyn, but it’s St David’s Day when we can throw unnecessary consonants around with wild abandon.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re not unnecessary. Just because ll is (mostly) the same as l in your language doesn’t make it so in others 🙂

Twin
    Free Member

Nope, definitely Llewelyn. First letter Ll makes the ‘Hissy’ sound, second is a solid ‘L’ sound. In Welsh, by the way, ll is one letter, as is dd and ch.

Edit

Too slow. 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

would you not pronounce llewellyn and llewelyn differently? Or am I being a bit phlegmatic?

DezB
    Free Member

He’s a twit so I couldn’t be bothered to look up spelling. I bet you knew who I meant.
    He did also choose Aubrey Beardsley, so he has some taste.

or NSFW http://tinyurl.com/6592o42

Twin
    Free Member

Llewellyn would have a double ‘hissy’ sound, Llewelyn would only have a single ‘hissy’ sound. Like the difference between Llanelli and Llandegla.

Stoner
    Free Member

Llewellyn would have a double ‘hissy’ sound, Llewelyn would only have a single ‘hissy’ sound. Like the difference between Llanelli and Llandegla

😉 I know.

Stoner: Builth Wells Escape Committee organiser, 1995.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like Builth Wells.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it a trail centre? I’m going to one of those this weekend. My first.

molgrips
    Free Member

Builth Wells is a town. With loads of biking nearby.

Stoner
    Free Member

unfortunately I didnt take up MTBing until 2000 so never rode round there when I lived there.

🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Luffli!

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely that’d be lyfli?

We have considered moving to Builth in fact.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh I don’t know I’m not Welsh.

Kevevs off here could tell you though, he is Welsh.

DezB
    Free Member

My mum’s half Welsh. She can say that big long railway station name.

MrSparkle

Euston?

molgrips
    Free Member

Llanfairpwllgwyngethgwerndrobochllantysiliogogogoch? (without googling)
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (with googling.. dammit.. knew there was a bit missing.)

Stoner
    Free Member

As an Englishman living in Wales it was quite a friendly place (compared to more Fundamentataff parts of the country). Except when the 5 (as it was then) nations was on.

Fortunately as Im originally of scottish stock I could safely where a blue shirt into the pub, but not a white one. During the tournament, a flag used to hang out the front of the White Hart on the high street depicting a cartoon red dragon anally violating an English Bulldog…

DezB
    Free Member

And she can sing the national anthem. Talented my mum.
    We used to watch Ryan & Ronnie at home.
    “Don’t call Will on your father” an all that.

Twin
    Free Member

Sorry…. got a bit carried away there.

Since the thread started with a Nun I have suitably chastised myself with a cilice and birch.

Which was nice.

RustySpanner

So how do you lot pronounce Paris (the place, not the plaster) or Mexico? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting that. There are English variants of many major cities and countries across the world and indeed in Wales. However those are accepted and widely used alternatives, and I do not think that gives you carte blance to mangle any place name you see fit.

You don’t drink wine from Bord-oaks do you? Or play football against Marr-seal?

Cougar

I do not think that gives you carte blance to mangle any place name you see fit.

Hear hear, old boy. It’s maintaining such high standards of pronunciation with respect to place names that separates us from those American ruffians, what?

DezB
    Free Member

This thread hasn’t quite taken the course I expected. But I cannot criticise, for fear of dampening any enthusiasm.
    Praise the Lord.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hear hear, old boy. It’s maintaining such high standards of pronunciation with respect to place names that separates us from those American ruffians, what?

Abso-god-damn-lutely.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sister Wendy’ is closed to new replies.