Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SIS – GO and serious paint damage to my car.
  • Stumpi
    Free Member

Hey all,

Here’s one I wouldn’t have believed until it happened to me.
    Went out for a road ride with a couple of mates last Saturday, it was going to be hot so I filled my Bottles (std 800ml SIS bottles with water and 1 std scoop of SIS GO) and put them in the freezer overnight so they slowly melted during the ride and stayed cold.

It was already warm when I set out on the 30 minute drive to meet them but in that time some of the drink (bottles mounted in the cages on the bike which was on the roof of the car) leaked out and onto my car.

I didnt think anything of it until yesterday when I washed my car and noticed serious paint damage to my roof from the leaked drink. I’ve tried all sorts of paint retorer polishes and t-cut but this stuff has literally eaten into the cars paint! I cannot remove the marks which you can actually feel theyre that bad.

Two questions here, has anyone ever had this and if they did, did you manage to restore the paint? How did you do it?

Ok, three questions, if I can’t remove these (significant) marks. Would you go to SIS with a complaint?

Oh, and the afterthought is that if this stuff can irrepairably damage my cars paint, what does it do to our insides?!

Thanks for your thoughts..

Matt24k
    Free Member

Oh, and the afterthought is that if this stuff can irrepairably damage my cars paint, what does it do to our insides?!

Your stomach is full or stuff that would strip paint so I doubt SIS does much harm.
    Try leaving some things in a glass of coke overnight and see how much damage that can do. Modern car paint finishes are not very durable and anything mildly acidic or alkaline needs rinsing off immediately.

I would try a professional car detailer and see if they can mop it out with something a bit stronger than T Cut.
    As for going to SIS with a complaint…… Strikes me as a McDonalds hot coffee situation. You bought an energy drink not a car care product. You spilt it on your car on a hot day and didn’t rinse it off. That can’t be blamed on SIS.
    I could say suck it up but that would be cruel as I do feel for you in this situation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok, three questions, if I can’t remove these (significant) marks. Would you go to SIS with a complaint?

Your having a laugh there aren’t you???

First real question is are you sure it was the SIS? It’s been a week since you spilled something on your car.

hora
    Free Member

Always knew that stuff is rank/evil. Gives me nasty cramp/squits

orangeboy
    Free Member

Has it eaten down into the paint of just left a rock hard deposit on the top of the paint.

allthepies
    Free Member

Would you go to SIS with a complaint?

leffeboy

Strikes me as a McDonalds hot coffee situation

Actually this is exactly why you should go to SIS if it really was them. Part of the reason McDonalds got such a heavy fine was that they had already received many reports of other people being scalded in this way

It would be surprising though given that the stuff must splash onto bike paintwork all the time or is bike paint very different?

MoreCashThanDash

I must have spilled pints of the stuff onto bike frames over the years, nothing been damaged, not even carbon.

Be worth mentioning it to SiS, but I fear this is just one of lifes tough breaks.

kcal

Seagulls crap on my car paintwork; has some pretty nasty effects.

I think I’ll complain to the shitehawks – that or leave out bicarb laced sandwiches..

padkinson
    Free Member

Had a guy in the bike shop the other day complaining that his new-ish bottom bracket had seized. Before we took it apart it was impossible to see what had caused the problem, as he’d only ridden the bike a few times and in good weather.
    There was a funny shiny finish on the lower half of the down tube and around the bottom bracket, but I thought nothing of it.
    So we stripped the thing down, and the whole BB was covered in this clear, crystalline deposit of something, which had clearly got into the bearing and caused it to sieze. I couldn’t work out what the **** it was though, until I remembered the shiny stuff on his down-tube, and figured it out. When asked, the bloke said his bottle was a bit leaky and some of his SIS had been running out!

It didn’t seem to damage the paint though, but it was a bit of a bastard to get off. Just don’t get it in bearings!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Next car that cuts me up is going to get a squirt of SIS Go across its roof then.

devash
    Free Member

I call troll.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SIS – GO and serious paint damage to my car.’ is closed to new replies.