Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Siri
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I just don’t get all the hype around Siri. Even if I make an effort to tone down my scouse accent, it still seems to muss at least half of what I try to say to it (unlike Googles alternative which gets everything I say first time). Siri just seems a bit shite to me. What do people use it for?

AdamW
    Free Member

I use it to send texts and ask the odd question such as converting weights for cooking.

Perhaps it is more in tune with a Welsh accent? 🙂

I do like the ability to say “Make it so!” to yes/no questions.

GrahamS

Yeah mostly just reading/sending texts or dialling names whilst driving.
    Copes okay with my posh-Glasgow twang.

Kids like asking daft questions:
    Siri can you beatbox?
    What should I go as for Halloween?
    I love you Siri
    etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not for me. Never use it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We have a guy in the office that seems to use it a lot, but then he is the type to make sure everyone knows what he is up to… I’d probably use Google/Cortana more if I was working from home.

binners

You do know that it’s witchcraft?

oink1
    Free Member

I try to carry on conversationns with him all the time! 😀 Think he’s great. Still haven’t worked out what he eats though… 😯

muggomagic

I use it quite often in the car. I use it to play an album or playlist, get it to read a text or make a call.
    It’s biggest drawback compared to when I used “Ok Google” is that it doesn’t work offline. Quite annoying when I want to listen to an album that’s downloaded on my phone and the only response I get is “I’m having trouble with the connection right now”, well it’s just not good enough when you leave me with a choice of Shaun Keavney, Chris Moyles, Nick Grimshaw, Chris Evans, Alan Brazil or worse still, my own thoughts.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So long as i’ve got a good internet connection it works great for me. Don’t use it alot, or even frequently, but sometimes it comes in handy. Used it to find the location of nearby restaurants when in a place I don’t know, then ask it to navigate me there once i’ve chosen one. Have dictated text messages to it, asked it to call people. Pretty much does anything i’ve asked. I’ve got a fairly bland accent so not sure how sensitive it is to accents, but works ok with other people in the office with asian accents. I should use it more really. Just seen Amazon and released a device that is pretty much just a box that does something like Siri. It’s the future. Carrying a device around us will seem so lame in 10 or even 5 years time, we’ll have a very small wearable device that we talk to. All the technology is already there, it just needs packaging up in a form that people will accept.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Carrying a device around us will seem so lame in 10 or even 5 years time, we’ll have a very small wearable device that we talk to. All the technology is already there, it just needs packaging up in a form that people will accept.

As much as I never like predicting the digital future small wearbles will not* replace the phone/tablet for what it has become. Even with the Augmented reality Google Glasses idea you still don’t want to show everyone what your looking at or announce to the world your looking for pile cream etc.

The screens that are available on mobiles may make some things obsolete but the device to carry will remain.

*as far as I see it…

mrlugz
    Free Member

I use it to set alarms on iphones that have been left unattended.

Usually for half hour intervals after 2am.

Find it useful for sending texts too, it recognises probably 90% of my northumberlandese.

zilog6128

I use it loads, mainly for playing music (especially in the car) or setting diary appointments (massively quicker than entering by hand). Would probably use it for more stuff, but I often forget it’s an option plus you feel a bit self-conscious sometimes! That will probably be less of a problem in the future as we get more used to the technology. Never had a problem with the recognition, it’s scarily accurate when I remember how crap it used to be when voice recognition was the in-thing the first time around in the 90s!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use it to set alarms on iphones that have been left unattended.
    Usually for half hour intervals after 2am.

🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The only real use I have found for it is for it to read out text messages when driving and send new ones.

GolfChick
    Free Member

The problem with it is that it’s so clever I cant remember half of the stuff you can ask it to do. The time it takes to dictate and listen back to a text before finally sending it means its much faster to just type it myself so I dont bother with that either. It was novel being able to ask my watch to ‘take me home’ but I’d rather use TomTom for navigation so that soon wore off. I’d rather read about all the hints and tips for iOs10 and remember and use them before ploughing through siri uses.

GrahamS

My almost daily standard usage is getting into the car at work and saying to Siri “tell [MrsGrahamS] I’m leaving now” 🙂

jimdubleyou

We’ve got hue lights in the lounge.

Use siri to change the scene or turn them off all the time.

GrahamS

Of course my ambition now is…

😉

GrahamS

Use siri to change the scene or turn them off all the time.

How do you specify the colour to Siri?

“Hey Siri set lounge lights to Whisper of Egyptian Sand with a hint of Sunrise”

scud
    Free Member

I am in my adopted homeland of rural West Norfolk, so i use it to confuse the locals, “the man with the funny accent has a magic talky box”!!

Seriously, it only seems to get used as a novelty for my daughter to ask it to beatbox/sing/ tell her a story, still amuses her even though she has done it a hundred times

zilog6128

Seriously, it only seems to get used as a novelty

This is because, I think, we’re all old fogeys. For anyone growing up now with the technology, it’ll seem like second nature.

DezB
    Free Member

I never use it – but just last night I yelled at my phone to find me some parking in Brighton and it found me a handy free (ie. 0p) spot.
    We had a conversation – “Find me parking near here” “I’ve found parking near here, do you want me to show you or give directions?” “Give directions”… pretty cool, I spose.

GrahamS

Nah as mike says I’m comfortable with the technology, I’m just self-conscious about announcing everything that I’m doing to everyone within earshot. Because that’s just rude.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use Siri all the time, mostly for text/mail/music or internet searches.

It’s pretty cool once you get to know its capabilities, and not expect it to make supper or go to Waitrose for you..

sbob
    Free Member

Yet to find voice recognition that understands me.
    No accent, but I make Barry White sound like Peewee Herman.

jimdubleyou

How do you specify the colour to Siri?

“Hey Siri set lounge lights to Whisper of Egyptian Sand with a hint of Sunrise”

Don’t have a scene called that, but might create one now just so I can ask siri that question.

chrismac

Im trying to work out what the point is. My imac has just upgraded itself to the new OS which it includes. Given that imacs don’t have a microphone then whats the point?

convert

Your imac has just upgraded its operating system. The fact that the main ‘front of house’ feature of the new OS is Siri is coincidental!

Siri – not sure. Think I might be a bit old as I struggle to see the point. I think using it for sending texts, playing music or to sort navigation whilst driving are the only things I can see as positive, although have to confess I haven’t bothered using it for any of those things yet!

zilog6128

Given that imacs don’t have a microphone then whats the point?

You sure? Mine has. Thought they’ve always had them (for use with the built-in camera).

Tinners

We’ve got hue lights in the lounge

I’ve no idea what these are, but I have a feeling that they’ve just eclipsed log burners and Gaggias as the next “must have” STW accessory 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Siri’ is closed to new replies.