Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sir Tom Jones
  • redmex
    Free Member

Poor Tom all these years ago as a youngster being propositioned maybe by a cougar
    I would imagine he lived like a Tom cat in L A whilst his wife lived in Wales

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/k9zL9wlMvZE[/video]
    is there a point to the post?? He isn’t touring with Joe Cocker is he?

Coyote
    Free Member

Joe Cocker is touring? Fantastic! Is he coming to Manchester?

sargey

Cougar propositioned sir tom jones, blimey 😮

RustySpanner

It’s not unusual.

I’ve always wanted to do that.
    🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

maybe by a cougar

Or maybe by Ted Heath, did he give any detail?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Being Welsh, Sir Tom sits somewhere between King and God in my mind.

But a chap in possession of a super injunction to avoid Yew Tree like claims getting in the paper so probably keep his head down when it comes to these things.

nickhit3
    Free Member

hmmm. what does he gain from this claim…? apparently “asked a question and i said no” was the foundation of this incident. its hardly breaking news that abuse is rife in the music industry.

johnx2
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

It’s not unusual.

I’ve always wanted to do that.

And you do have to ask why? Why? Why? Actually, on reflection, no you don’t.

Dickyboy

Hey Tom there’s a parapet over there, why don’t you stick your head above it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmmmm.. what’s the point of the thread? Is there an allegation festering in the media or rumour mill mongering?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41672902
    The ongoing problems in the entertainment industry

surfer
    Free Member

All a bit meh… He was hardly coherent either.

geetee1972
    Free Member

asked a question and i said no”

A very large portion of the Harvey Weinstein claims are precisely this but that doesn’t stop us from treating them seriously so why would you not do the same in this instance?

scotroutes

Poor Tom all these years ago as a youngster being propositioned maybe by a cougar

Really? How many older women had positions of authority and power in the music industry when Tom Jones was starting out?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m glad this has bumped the other thread down, cos it was doing my head in.

Anyway, best read the report before posting (jokes) eh fellas?

edlong
    Free Member

being propositioned maybe by a cougar

How many older women had positions of authority and power in the music industry when Tom Jones was starting out?

Is there another report with more detail than the BBC one that’s been linked? ‘Cos I can’t see anything in those quotes that indicate the person who tried it on with Jones was a woman…

..in which case “maybe by a cougar” does seem like singularly crass speculation if there’s no basis in what was actually said.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, at least we can make informed (ghah!) comment.

FWIW, people with power corrupt absolutely or is it power corrupts people absolutely …

Either way, at least stories like this are coming out and being called out..

But..

Let’s hope there is evidence to back up the claims, purely for the fact it’ll be “trail by media” rather than in the courts of justice.

nickhit3
    Free Member

“A very large portion of the Harvey Weinstein claims are precisely this but that doesn’t stop us from treating them seriously so why would you not do the same in this instance?“

Hmm, well the allegations in the HW shitstorm seem to be quite considerably more graphic than “I was asked a question and I said no”

No mention of naked massages or rape for instance..

I’m not doubting the sincerity of his claim, and if Sir Tom was a victim then that’s a tragedy- regardless of how severe the conduct in question, BUT there’s a difference between “a question” and people coming out and stating they were raped.

And I agree with the above comment regarding the perpetrator- oddly my interpretation of his spoken comments were that it was a man who propositioned him. Not sure why I thought that but there you go.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe because he said it was a man.

Nico
    Free Member

Anyway, best read the report before posting (jokes) eh fellas?

Ridiculous suggestion.

scotroutes

DezB – Member

Any confusion must come from the BBC link then because that report doesn’t make that clear. I certainly assumed it was a man.

redmex
    Free Member

There would always be groupies way back then, don’t think it was for singing lessons or learning chords to play on their guitar made them hang back

nickhit3
    Free Member

That wasn’t broadcast when I heard him taking on 5live earlier this morning. They played him saying “I was asked a question, and I said no” that’s all I heard- if he confirmed it was a man elsewhere then I haven’t seen it so far casually following the story.

It was just a feeling I had about his comments, I don’t really give a shit about Tom Jones or this train wreck of a story tbh. Was just an idle observation.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hmm, well the allegations in the HW shitstorm seem to be quite considerably more graphic than “I was asked a question and I said no”

Yes a lot of them are but there are also a lot that are exactly this and lot of examples cited in the media of ‘harassment’ are just this also.

If we can agree that a simple request that is not pursued beyond the no does not constitute harassment then maybe we can all move on.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Not sure I agree there (sorry) I would say any unsolicited proposition is in fact harassment.. but that’s me.

scotroutes

nickhit3 – Member
    Not sure I agree there (sorry) I would say any unsolicited proposition is in fact harassment.. but that’s me.

Genuinely curious – how would you go about getting a date, or chatting someone up?

Nico
    Free Member

How would you solicit a proposition without risking it being an unsolicited proposition? Catch 22.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Genuinely curious – how would you go about getting a date, or chatting someone up?

“genuine”

sure..

the same way you would I’d imagine. Its not difficult to ‘chat some one up’ without it tipping into explicit sexual harassment. For me at least. If its a problem you have I’m very sorry.

for the pedants taking notes here, my definition of ‘proposition’ in this context is one that is putting someone in a position where they feel threatened by a sexual advance. which appears to be what Tom is alluding to.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So what’s the difference between your approach and the other? Because to me they sound ostensibly like the same thing.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Ok you got me. I abuse women. regularly. and they love it. happy?

turns out we’re all rapists.

CBA with this forum sometimes.

enjoy the debate lads.

Dickyboy

putting someone in a position where they feel threatened by a sexual advance.

Edit – actually I can’t be arsed to enter the debate but yes I guess it depends on your definition of unsolicited

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure whether this thread has already moved on to another debate of what is and what isn’t an unsolicited proposition.

But anyway, I’m not sure what is wrong with anything Sir Tom said – on the contrary he appeared to handle the interview quite well. He was asked a direct question by the interviewer and he answered it – any other answer would presumably have been a lie. He then clarifies that it’s not at the same level for men as it is for women, and talks about the problem in general in a way which doesn’t minimise the issue.

Regarding the gender of the other person involved, I see that the BBC have a video caption suggesting he was propositioned by a man, but there’s nothing he directly says in that interview which mentions the gender of the other person. Is there some other interview or statement he’s made, or did I miss something?

anagallis_arvensis

The interview I heard on radio4 this am. It wasnt clear if it was a man or women or what the question was. I presumed it was a man and the question was if you do this you get this rather than would you like a shag, no thanks.

DezB
    Free Member

but there’s nothing he directly says in that interview which mentions the gender of the other person. Is there some other interview or statement he’s made, or did I miss something?

I thought he’d said it was a man, it was early in the morning though, so maybe it was an added bit by the presenter on BBC Breakfast.
    Just watched the interview and he doesn’t specify. The interviewer’s “Good grief!” was a bit bizarre.

DezB
    Free Member

Actually this message pops up if you scroll down the BBC page. Maybe there was more to the interview

metalheart
    Free Member

My interpretation of what TJ said was that it was put more of if you want me to that for you you need to do ‘this’ for me (presumably on yer knees and say ah). He talked about being asked to do something that you wouldn’t necessarily dont want to do… His solution was a little too simple (albeit correct i.e. GTFO). He was definitely talking about abuse of power/position.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Surely the “asking of a question” and “chatting up” are fairly obviously different things.

If, with no prior lead up, you ask for someone to do something sexual, as in the Weinstein cases, that’s harassment.

Chatting up, with no request for anything sexual behaviour, just normal conversation, is quite different.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s what I was referring to, but I can’t see or hear any reference for that, and unless there was another interview, the one they show seems to have moved on by the time the clip ends. I think it may be some researcher assuming.

km79
    Free Member

Chatting up, with no request for anything sexual behaviour, just normal conversation, is quite different.

But can still be classed as sexual harassment if the recipient believes it to be.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sir Tom Jones’ is closed to new replies.