Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)
  • Sir Elton John receives the greatest gift of all!
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve never met him, but now I’m intrigued, although I’m not gay or owt.

Maybe that’s because you haven’t met woppit! He’ll turn ya!

Junkyard
    Free Member

will somehow have their lives blighted because of the likely outcome being that their fathers will die early on in their children’s lives, compared to the norm, to be specious in the extreme.

Financial security is the best foundation for a good start in life and the best insurance for a secure life to proceed.

I am sure loosing your father in early childhood is upsetting. The size of the inheritance is unlikely ot ease this sense of loss.
    i would say that love is th emost imprortnat thing a parent can give and am saddened that you value wealth above the ability to provide emotional support to your child.
    eth3er you are correct some heterosexual parents are not very good. you also mentioned mothers and fathes – can I accuse you of being heterophobic now for saying this ? or should we discuss the issue?

Whoppit looks a little like this

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh yawn. Hilarious.

Yes, yes. I’m sure young Zevon will experience a sense of loss, but that would come from missing a good father, wouldn’t it? So no objections as to his competence, but that sense of loss comes at any age, doesn’t it? He would still have had a good father.

What seems to get up our crtitics noses is that he doesn’t conform to some imaginary perfect paradigm that doesn’t include anything other than the usual “Mum, Dad and 2.5 children” myth.

I note that the BBC’s chosen critic on the news was from the famously bigoted “Christian Voice”, for instance…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes my onl;y objection is he is not heterosexual and part of a nuclear 2,5 children family you are as perceptive as you are wise.

Throughout his career, John has battled addictions to alcohol and cocaine. By 1975, the pressures of stardom began to take a serious toll on the musician. During “Elton Week” in Los Angeles that year, John suffered a drug overdose.[101] He also battled the eating disorder bulimia. In a CNN interview with Larry King in 2002, King asked if John knew of Diana, Princess of Wales’ eating disorder. John replied, “Yes, I did. We were both bulimic

he admitted spending £30 million in just under two years – an average of £1.5 million a month, the High Court in London heard. The singer’s lavish lifestyle saw him spend more than £9.6m on property and £293,000 on flowers between January 1996 and September 1997. ….. When quizzed by Mr Hapgood [QC] about the £293,000 spent on flowers, John said, “Yes, I like flowers.”

then his own quote about why he thought he would not be a good parent- cited earlier.
    If you want to reduce all this to me just objecting to him becuase he is gay then how can I stop your irrational belief.
    Certainly he would not meet adoption criteria due to the above and his age rather than due to his sexuality.

Cougar

substitue the word ‘priest’ for something else like ‘Muslim’, ‘homosexual’, ‘black person’, ‘woman’, ‘disabled person’ etc.

As an aside and at the rist of derailing this,

“Priest” doesn’t fit into the same category as the other demographics there. People choose to be priests; being black, gay, female, French etc isn’t a choice.

It’s wrong to be prejudiced against demographics simply because people are different. If someone chooses to have an invisible friend and / or bugger choirboys however, I’m less convinced that they deserve the same level of respect.

The original comment was a joke, of course. It’s in the same vein as cracks about truck drivers eating Yorkies and murdering prostitutes. Priests aren’t an ethnic minority, they’re not special, they’ve simply made a career choice. And in this particular case, I’d have more sympathy if the priesthood weren’t intentionally, institutionally, trying to cover up abuse cases.

Cougar

Junkyard > do you have any objections that aren’t based on his actions over thirteen years ago? Drink driving convictions come off your licence after ten. Give it a couple more years and he’d be out following a murder conviction having served his time.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cougar homosexuals are not an ethnic group either and the jury is still out on you’re born gay or choose to be gay. And since when did it just ‘being a joke’ make it ok?

Any degradation of a group based on the actions of a few or even a majority is ignorant and prejudice. If you’re going to champion equality you really have to do it sincerely and not just when it’s politically or morally expedient.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Blimey charlie, this thread’s creating some differences of opinion innit? I have to agree with junkyards last post, insofar as he managed to describe Elton John’s somewhat tenuous links with reality in a much clearer way than I could have. Again, his sexuality shouldnt make any difference as to whether he would make an appropriate parent or not, but the fact that he managed to blow three hundred grand (a sum that I would have to work ten years or more to earn) on flowers is a bit of a worry, or am I just too bitter and judgemental?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well….

crikey
    Free Member

Is Woppit like a greek god then?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

He may object to the ‘God’ bit, I’m afraid…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And in this particular case, I’d have more sympathy if the priesthood weren’t intentionally, institutionally, trying to cover up abuse cases.

Most abusers of children are in fact family members.

And when you speak about the ‘priesthood’, are you speaking of all priests, of all flavours of Christianity and indeed other religions? Or a tiny minority of priests from the Catholic faith, as has been reported in the media?

So, if there’s a spate of muggings in an area, which has a large Afro-Carribean population, and a high proportion of those muggers are Black, does it then mean all Black people are muggers? I think the National Front tried suggesting this some years ago…

Don’t let facts get in the way of yer bigotry though, eh?

Cougar

Cougar homosexuals are not an ethnic group either

They’re not an “ethnic” group, no, nor is being female or disabled. That misses the point though.

and the jury is still out on you’re born gay or choose to be gay.

Only amongst Christian fundamentalists, homophobes and the ignorant. Which one are you?

And since when did it just ‘being a joke’ make it ok?

This is a bigger conversation. My stance is basically that either everything is fair game or nothing is. As soon as you start cherry-picking what subjects are and aren’t available to make jokes about, you’re guilty of prejudice. I personally subscribe to the former line of thought, it’d be a very drab anod boring world otherwise, but I appreciate that some people prefer to read the Daily Mail.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The way I see it; I spose you ‘choose’ to be homosexual as much as you’d ‘choose’ to be heterosexual.

I’m heterosexual. I’m attracted to women. I don’t actually think I’ve got a ‘choice’ in the matter really. I can’t suddenly simply ‘choose’ to be attracted to men instead. Doesn’t work like that. I’d imagine the same is true for homosexual people; their sexuality is as inherent in their own nature as mine is.

Just because the ‘default’ setting seems to be heterosexuality for most people, doesn’t mean that it’s the same default setting for everybody.

So as for the ‘jury still being out’; who are the ones to judge?

Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Sir Elton John receives the greatest gift of all!’ is closed to new replies.