Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 254 total)
  • Sir Elton John receives the greatest gift of all!
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why do you want 200? 201 means I’m at the top of this page^^

luked2
    Free Member

You can’t adopt if you’re a smoker?

http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/adoption_domestic_faqs

I smoke, will I be able to adopt?
    <snip>
    However, the use of criteria whose application is in reality to ban people who smoke from adopting is not appropriate.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t care. Too upset.

luked2
    Free Member

You’re not upset, just flouncing.

psling
    Free Member

I find it fascinating how some folk seem to think their values somehow trump others, without really having any decent or fully valid reasons why.

I see what you’ve done there 🙄 😆

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I had to stop smoking as part of the adoption process, kept it up for about six months then like an idiot started again. I understand, to a degree, where social services are coming from, but at the time I was less than happy with the situation, insofar as I never smoked in the house, and would never dream of smoking in front of the kids, yet was still made to feel like an irresponsible baby murdering nazi. Anyway, five years later, I’m still smoking, and to be honest, with a five year old and a seven year old running amok out of their heads on too much chocolate and an overdose of doctor who action figures, it’s a wonder I’m not on crack. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mr Mitch you want to get yourself to one of Phil’s Sexy Parties!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If I can find a tramp or someone even less suitable to look after the boys, I’m there!

psling
    Free Member

Which begs the question, does someone who allows their children to eat chocolate and have Dr Who inaction figures be allowed to adopt… 😈

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bring ’em along, free crack for all… 8)

project
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member
    I had to stop smoking as part of my adoption process, kept it up for about six months then like an idiot started again. I understand, to a degree, where social services are coming from, but at the time I was less than happy with the situation, insofar as I never smoked in the house, and would never dream of smoking in front of the adults, yet was still made to feel like an irresponsible roadie murdering nazi. Anyway, five years later, I’m still smoking, and to be honest, with a thirty five year old and a thirty seven year old running amok out of their heads on too much xtr and an overdose of doctor who action figures, it’s a wonder I’m not on crack.

Posted 10 hours ago #

There fixed it for you 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

My parents smoked in the house when I was a nipper, and I grew up perfectly healthy

who knew you were immune to the ffects if inhaling those nasty products in smoke – perhaps you should donate your body to medical science.

Personally I dont see how smoking actually affects your ability to parent well [ex smoker] and given the outcomes of LAC [ looked after children] almost nothing could be worse than what the state provides – lowest exam results, highest crime rates, suicides – some trully tragic outcomes for LAC statistically.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Couldnt agree more junkyard. I’m not trying to say that smoking is a healthy option, and as I already stated, I have never smoked in front of my kids (or anyone elses, for that matter), but compared to the backgrounds some of the kids are from, having the occasional ciggie is pretty insignificant in comparison.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If I can find a tramp or someone even less suitable to look after the boys

Local priest?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed there is. The more I learn of you on here BM the greater the respect I have for you.
    Woppit do you never tire of religous digs? Really rather boring now – oh yes thanks for the pithy insulting reply to this as well it was dull as well.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’d thought about that mr woppit, just need to buy a can of ‘priest be gone’ spray and were all sorted…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Science to the rescue! 😆

Sandwich

Edit: 63 is far too old to be a father.

No it’s not. It may not be your choice but don’t seek to force that on other people. We have family experience of this and it’s working just fine (being a fit sexagenarian is going to be a better father than a fat badly fed twenty-something).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Statistically elton will live to see him turn 10 the 20 something may see great grandchildren

Sandwich

The fat, badly fed twenty something may well live to see great grandchildren, what input will he have to his children’s lives though. Physical activity is a large part of the under 10 years in children which the un-fit will struggle with.
    With the right children the 20 something may even see great great grandchildren, with pregnancy possible for modern 12 year olds 🙄

Cougar

Messiah on a singlespeed, is this still going?!

MrsToast
    Free Member

63 is far too old to be a father.

Rod Stewart’s 65 and got kid number 8 on the way, following his third marriage and numerous relationships. I’d say that should ring more warning bells than Elton’s situation, yet strangely I can’t find the thread on that…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’d say that should ring more warning bells

Why?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

ask your mother , he’ll know

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mr potatohead – Member
    ask your mother , he’ll know

Unfortunately I can’t as she’s dead (my mother was female, although I can’t speak for your own experience, of course).

However, I do find that the argument that Elton’s child (and Rodney the Modney’s children) will somehow have their lives blighted because of the likely outcome being that their fathers will die early on in their children’s lives, compared to the norm, to be specious in the extreme.

Financial security is the best foundation for a good start in life and the best insurance for a secure life to proceed.

Many have had their lives as children damaged, often beyond repair, by abusive and/or poverty-stricken parents who nevertheless die when their children reach middle-age or beyond.

The only reason this thread was started (and subsequently supported by some) is homophobia, plain and simple.

cinnamon_girl

The only reason this thread was started (and subsequently supported by some) is homophobia, plain and simple.

Absolute tosh Mr Woppit.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Whoppit you are a complete hypocrite! If you take the sentence you wrote above:

If I can find a tramp or someone even less suitable to look after the boys

Local priest?

:and substitue the word ‘priest’ for something else like ‘Muslim’, ‘homosexual’, ‘black person’, ‘woman’, ‘disabled person’ etc. I’m pretty sure you’d not only get flamed but you’d get lynched. And I would be leading the mob.

So why is it OK to be so prejudice against priests? Before you start calling others, take a look at yourself first.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Financial security is the best foundation for a good start in life and the best insurance for a secure life to proceed.

Yes, as some fab four once said, “Money can buy you love”

oh…. hold on..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So why is it OK to be so prejudice against priests? Before you start calling others, take a look at yourself first.

This is true. I actually know a few priests. In fact my aunt is one. And while I don’t necessarily agree with all their religious views, I also don’t see why they should be insulted in such a fashion. In fact, seeing as all those people I know are parents, I’d say they were probably very suitable for looking after children.

Silly Woppit. 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ooh. I seem to have touched a nerve.

and substitue the word ‘priest’ for something else like ‘Muslim’, ‘homosexual’, ‘black person’, ‘woman’, ‘disabled person’ etc. I’m pretty sure you’d not only get flamed but you’d get lynched. And I would be leading the mob.

…but not for “priest”. So I’m safe from the wrath of the geetee-led mob yet awhile. Phew.

Actually, I was referring to those newsworthy of late and ordained, who are evidently paedophiles, as being more unsuitable than tramps (as jocularly posted by barnsleymitch). It was an aside, and nothing to do with gay people, who are of course, no more automatically paedophiliac than heterosexuals, so I don’t QUITE know what your objection is.

I took a look at myself. I’m a handsome brute. 8)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Actually, I was referring to those newsworthy of late and ordained, who are evidently paedophiles

Then why didn’t you say ‘paedophile priests’ instead ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ooh. I seem to have touched a nerve.

Yeah a little. I consider myself an aetheist (although I was brought up Catholic but that’s a whole other story. Really) but I also try really hard not to be prejudice against anyone without really good cause (so I’d say it was OK to be prejudice against a facist gay hating, woman bashing, muslim mudering, child felching SOB for example).

I am all for a more secular society, but I don’t think it should be at the expense of religious freedom. Nor should religious freedom come at the expense of tolerance of diversity. I think that the price of equality is that you will create an environment in which you have to allow certain groups the right to be prejudice based on (ill informed or otherwise) beliefs. It’s like the price of civil liberties being that suicide bombers will have a greater chance of succeeding.

Actually, I was referring to those newsworthy of late and ordained, who are evidently paedophiles,

I know you were. That’s the point; you didn’t differentiate so your statement was based on the assumption that all priests are peodophiles.

…nothing to do with gay people, who are of course, no more automatically paedophiliac than heterosexuals, so I don’t QUITE know what your objection is.

Precisely, but by not differentiating you lump all priests together as being paedophilles.

Now i’ve met you Whoppit and you seemed like a very decent chap to me (as well as a handome brute!) so I’ll put this one down to a misunderstanding, but at the same time, hard as it is to do, you might reflect on whether you are prejudice against religious people, in particular Christians. Just a thought.

Naranjada
    Free Member

geetee1972 – thanks for your reply, it really helped. BTW I’m not being sarcastic. I did get a little bit wound up …I had too much time on my hands yesterday.

And as for your statement “I’ve reflected a lot on this thread and in some ways I’ve changed my views” I too have had a similar experience, thanks to the contributions from you and others.

So, for 2011 it’s out with the nihilism and existential angst (the latter should have been exorcised a while ago …late teens I guess, but I’m heading for mid 40s FFS!) and in with a new era of positivity, acceptance and more riding of bike.

Hugs all round.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The world really is a good place! 😀

eth3er
    Free Member

Someone else’s view, I broadly agree with, apart from the homophobia dying bit because it’s dancing across most of this thread.
    When stripped down to it’s components parts though some people are on the whole objecting because it’s Elton and David and they are gay and they don’t like that. note *some.
    It starts with Rightplacerighttime saying “father”; that’s it right there, also being a shopaholic is one of the key indicators of bad parenthood? You live you learn.
    There are a lot of kids who end up in the world as unplanned unwanted results of unprotected poor decisions, born to decision makers who don’t get to be quizzed about their qualifications as life makers.
    Some kids grow up with single parents, (however this happens, walkouts, death, divorce, …) some good, some not and some not ideal (this as it turns out isn’t exclusive to single parents) they might not all grow into the best people in the world but the idea that kids need a mother and a father is not a coverall. Some families with a mother and a father are not naturing hotbeds of small people incubators. As it goes we don’t know the particulars of their arrangement.
    However you want to paint it though making babies is not some special love ritual to create life, for some it’s a drunken Christmas party, a broken condom and a baby in August.
    There is debate though somewhere in there, but I think we’re mostly blinkered by our own opinions and an unyielding need to be right based on our experiences and beliefs.
    Geetee I get you, you have a very valid point but I disagree fundamentally because I don’t think they are buying a baby (but you do) nor do I think of making babies as a sanctified act, because it mostly never is, but this comes down to experiences and beliefs.
    Can I also be a handsome brute?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can I also be a handsome brute?

Well you can at least be an elloquent one on the basis of the evidence thus far. 😀

crikey
    Free Member

How handsome is Whoppit?

I’ve never met him, but now I’m intrigued, although I’m not gay or owt…

Oh no, messed it up again…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I once saw a picture of mr woppit. He’s certainly right about the ‘brute’ part, if nothing else.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It wasn’t nice, was it Mitch? 🙁

I wanted to say what Ether so eloquently has, but sadly I am too angry and stupid to put such common sense and objective thought into words.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve lost a lot of weight since then. 😕 (And grown a beard, which disguises the wattles. 😯

I suppose, to be strictly accurate, I should have said “paedophile priest”, but I kind of assumed that it would be obvious as to what I was referring, and the inclusion of the descriptive would have lessened the comedic impact of the statement.

I had in mind the Hitch’s defence of his friend Stephen Fry against the anti-gay attacks of Anne Widdecombe and the Bishop of Uganda when he said: “I am perfectly happy for my good friend Stephen to babysit my children, but if a Catholic Priest in full regalia turned up to do it, first I’d call a cab, then I’d call the police”.

I note that, whilst being hugely admiring of Catholic barnsley’s “soft answer that turneth away wrath” tactic, he seemed to agree with me…

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Sir Elton John receives the greatest gift of all!’ is closed to new replies.