Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sintered vs Organic: which disapates heat quicker?
  • walla24
    Free Member

What do you reckon? My brakes howl when the get hot on long descents and are currently sintered so thinking of trying organic instead.

(xt brakes with hope floating rotors(is it me or were they orginally only recommended for organic pads?)

Oh and not contaminated pads or disc, fine until hot!

z1ppy

Dunno about the heat dissipation, but I was always under the impression that the sintered pads cause heat generation purposely (for better braking) and so are winter (non-alp) recommended.

What long descents are you doing, that cause that much heat build up?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How are you using your brakes? Someone I ride with recently had this issue but it was due to dragging of the brakes. Few fast hard stops with my weight on the bike and they soon stopped squealing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

As others have said it is about generation. Word of warning a single wet ride can destroy a set of organic pads.

MSP

They handle heat differently.

Organic pads tend to block heat, therefore the braking surface can get very hot and glaze over.

Sintered pads tend to transmit the heat through the metal bits, which can increase the likelihood of boiling the fluid.

I have always found shimano pads pretty bad for squeeling, just try another make, finding rahoxbrakes really good at the moment, also ebc red compound and brake authority ceramic are top notch.

walla24
    Free Member

Its actually mainly noticeable on road connections long very fast descents say 20mph plus when I guess ‘drag’ my brakes to control speed.
    It sounds like and increasing howl/vibration from front and rear which gets worse the longer I brake, sounds like when it reaches a certain pitch the discs will just explode into a million pieces…very off putting.

walla24
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Organic are better for heat, sintered get hotter.
    Though I’ve only toasted some once doing laps of something in the UK on small rotors.

ste_t
    Free Member

I never bother with organic pads in this weather – wear out far too quickly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sintered vs Organic: which disapates heat quicker?’ is closed to new replies.