Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sink holes
  • project
    Free Member

For the last few months a hole has appeared in neighbours garden next to the boundry wall about 7 foot long 3 foot wide and currently about 15 inches deep , have dug down a foot or so after another neighbour said it might be a rat warren no sign of tunnels or angry rats,it doesnt fill with water when it rains,and doesnt appear to be an old tree as no signs of old roots visible, so any ideas, its about 25 foot from a property.

scotroutes

Call someone at the council and ask them to look into it?

globalti
    Free Member

Is it on a slope? Probably an underground watercourse about to cave in. You’re doomed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Any pics?

project
    Free Member

its on flat ground, not got smooth sides like a trench, just crumbly sides

RustySpanner

Seen his wife recently?
    If he’s called Lars, buy a flashgun.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

leaking water pipes/drains can create voids any pipes thereaboots?

yetidave
    Free Member

Mine shaft

takisawa2

Keep an eye on local news bulletins in Australia / New Zealand, for an elderly gent puzzled by the 7′ x 3′ x 15″ mound that’s appeared on his lawn.

MrNutt
    Free Member

its either his wifes collapsed coffin or its the entrance to an indian death cults burial chamber. I’d consider moving.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It could be a sink hole, or it might be some thing else entirely. If you can find out what your underlying geology is you’ll have a better idea.

honeybadgerx

Probably backfill to services, or some other backfilled excavation. The heavy rain we’ve had recently can induce settlement of the ground.

JoeG
    Free Member

You’re effed! 😯

timba
    Free Member

If you’re in Britain the British Geological Survey free mapping is here. It might not help much but it shows mines and boreholes

My 2p; collapsed soakaway?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Probably of no relevance but the other day, whilst randomly browsing I stumbled across (not literally of course)the Hell Hole of Turkmenistan. I couldn’t believe that there was either such a place or that I hadn’t heard of it before…

Images

spooky_b329

If you/they still have the surveys for house purchases it will show if there is a water main/sewer underneath.

Or of course, it sounds like the right size for a grave 😯 Maybe the neighbour never got round to finishing his new patio?!

MoreCashThanDash

That Door to Hell is amazing!

maccruiskeen

about 7 foot long 3 foot wide and currently about 15 inches deep

Sounds like they are preparing a shallow grave – have you said or done anything to upset them recently?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What part of the UK are you in? Depending on the underlying geology it may be a number of causes. If its the midlands then Coal Mining / limestone mining is a very real issue. Derbyshire and north then Limestone Karstification can lead to some very large sinkholes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sink holes’ is closed to new replies.