Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Singular Swift (cream) vs Stooge mkii
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hi,

I was about to build my swift frame into a 650b+ machine when I came across the Stooge. I sort of wish I hadn’t as it seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Most of my rides are fairly short efforts around the Surrey hills so maximum fun is essential. I’m concerned the swift might be a bit fast xc, whereas I’d have more of a laugh on the stooge, jumping over things and the like.

Any owners out there that can compare both? Can the swift be hooned around like a repack relic? Can you manual it over things easily? Is it a racy ride putting pressure on the wrists?

I’d be running single speed and rigid.

Perhaps the swift would be just the ticket but would be interesting to hear any opinions.

Cheers,
    Sam

johnnystorm

Buy wheels, fit to Swift. If it’s good, great. If it’s not, get a Stooge!

Gotama
    Free Member

Having had a swift it doesn’t sound like the style of frame you’re after. As above though, ride it and see.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Thanks for input. Have wheels already, and all bits – just needs slapping together.

Gotama: how would you describe the swift?

Sam

tazzymtb

Swift- great bike more of a traditional XC slant, goes like a scalded cat, lovely handling, remarkably capable over the rough stuff, although its no its forte

Stooge, great bike, more of a hooligan yobbo bike for smashing about and launching it down stuff a rigid bike really shouldn’t be good on. Can also do Xc stuff but no its forte.

both cracking bikes, for a miles swift, for yob playtime, stooge

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Tazzy said, although I’ve never tried a stooge as I didn’t really see the point of a ‘yob’ bike with a long stem (if he ever makes a large though).

rOcKeTdOg

although I’ve never tried a stooge as I didn’t really see the point of a ‘yob’ bike with a long stem (if he ever makes a large though).

what TINAS said, swift for any sized person, stooge for the vertically challenged

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sell me the swift frame then you’ll have no option but to get the stooge – decision made.

tazzymtb

stooge for the vertically challenged

Stooge for normal sized folks from about 5ft6 to 6 foot.

To be honest if you are taller than that you are a bloody waste of resources, oxygen etc…

you great gallumphing oversized freaks… look at you, with your silly clown sized feet and stupidly lanky limbs….. like a clumsy giraffe on bike ….. 😀

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Looks like I need both. Dammit.

At over 6’1″ I’m pushing the boundaries of size on the stooge, and space-consumption according to shorties, but it has been said that it can be a reasonable fit.

Thinking I’ll probably build up the swift, ride it like a loony and see what I think. What could possibly go wrong?

Gotama
    Free Member

I did what you’re suggesting for a while…….and then bought a Jones. The swift is a great frame and I wish I’d never sold mine ( thinking of getting another!) but it really doesn’t like being ridden in the same way you perhaps would a stooge or a Jones. As you’re Surrey hills based I started rattling mine down trails like northern monkey and the steeper stuff on pitch. So nothing difficult but beyond the design of the frame.. It can do it but it always feels like you’re on the wrong bike. Where it’s brilliant is when you’re exploring for trails or going flat out on the smoother stuff. If you’re looking to shift the swift at some point and it’s a large or XL drop me a mail as I might be interested depending on the geometry. Best option is to keep the swift and get the stooge!

bigblackshed

It’s only because Tazzy is a shortarse. Or are you a dwarf? Do you own a battle axe?

😉

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Northern monkey? Not ridden it but seem videos and it doesn’t look that tricky apart from the jumps. Is it a bit like Barry knows best? Yoghurt pots? Ive done stuff like that on inappropriate bikes – part of the fun – but it’s always slower. Maybe a swift with b+ would be just the ticket…

A Jones is a whole different world. Which one have you got? Does that handle the rough stuff well?

Gotama
    Free Member

It’s not tricky, it’s just rough (for Surrey hills) in parts and is quite a fast trail when you’re chasing mates on full sus bikes. Yoghurt pots and Barry’s are smooth in comparison.

Jones – had diamond and Spaceframe. Wish I hadn’t sold them either. The geometry creates a completely different ride to a swift, especially when you pair it with jeffs bars. The truss fork is also a different kettle of fish entirely. It’s incredibly stiff front to back which means it handles hard braking and riding quickly over rough ground far better than something like the swift fork. I haven’t ridden a stooge but by all accounts it’s a very similar ride to the Jones. At the moment I’m eyeing up a swift or a Jones, although I’d probably go for the plus in the latter this time.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I see. I think I’ll give it a go with b+ tyres and hope it does bumps better. Stooge very tempting though. I should probably not look too hard at the Jones…

Cheezpleez

I’m Surrey hills based and have both a Swift and a Stooge. Get the Stooge.

They’re both great bikes but the Stooge is an animal. It’s exactly what you’re after.

birdage

Strangely I find the Gryphon a similar ride to the Jones albeit with drops! Echo Gotama comments, Swift is a completely different ride 29er-shod. Definitely trickier on the twisty stuff than the Jones.

rOcKeTdOg

tooge for normal sized folks from about 5ft6 to 6 foot.
    To be honest if you are taller than that you are a bloody waste of resources, oxygen etc…
    you great gallumphing oversized freaks… look at you, with your silly clown sized feet and stupidly lanky limbs….. like a clumsy giraffe on bike …..

You’ll have to shout, can’t quite hear you from up here

duckman

My chimney needs swept,does somebody have Tazzy’s number?

tazzymtb

Dial 1-800-sexdwarf

chimneys swept and midget based gimpery all in one little stumpy legged package

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Leaning towards a stooge now. I built a cotic escapade with 41c knards last year and that is surprisingly capable on smoother trails. Maybe the swift might be a mountain bike equivalent of that so too much crossover.

john_l
    Free Member

Surely it depends how you’ve got it set up.

Ive got a Swift & a Jones. The Swift has a 60mm stem & wide (for me) bars & is super fast through the singletrack. It’s set up for racing, singlespeed.

My Jones feels very different; more comfy on longer rides, incredible on rutted, technical descents, but not as quick through the singletrack. But then it’s got 35mm rims, Jones Bars & a dropper.

Really wanting to try 650 B+ on both.

jonestown
    Free Member

its Andy here from Stooge, don’t want to hijack the thread but i’ve just finished the drawings for a full 29+ Stooge that, get this, will be available in regular and tall man version. Should be good to go in about 4 months.

takisawa2

Full 29+ Stooge eh…

postierich
    Free Member

waits with interest!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I have 6yr old Singular Swift I’m thinking of changing for a Stooge, based in Cornwall but have been enjoying a few rides in and about Dartmoor.
    My kit at the moment is an all rounder for me, using for rides with the wife and kids as well as taking it Cardinham and onto the moors.
    Now I’m a bit braver…. and exploring the more technical stuff I’m thinking the Stooge might be a be a bit of a better option for me.
    Will see what the money draw says…

Cheers, Steve

burko73

Root n 5th

What wheels were you running the 41 knards on the cotic? I’ve got an escapade with the std deep section cotic wheels and want to try a bigger tyre on mine.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Escapade running Stans Grail rims built on novatech hubs. Really nice light wheelset built by Spokesman. Had to get an axle converter from bdop as the qr moved in the dropout under braking.

burko73

What’s the clearance like on those Clarence? Got pics of the stays/ fork bridge?

Looks good, my conti cross contacts are surprisingly good on gravel trails but would like something beefier with some tread for trailer towing gravel duties.

aa
    Free Member

Tall mans stooge. Also waits with interest….

fin25
    Free Member

Goddammit, just told my wife my most recent bike purchase would be my last for a good while, now I hear of a full 29 plus Stooge in big man size…

You bastard.

EDIT

Sam, get the Stooge.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Clearance on the cotic? Massive – takes them easily.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ and run a Stooge, no probs 🙂

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member I’m 6’3″ and run a Stooge, no probs

What set up are you running if you don’t mind me asking? I’m about 3″ shorter than you but just getting an idea of how people are running them, I’m used to a fairly long stem.

Cheers, Steve

bonesetter
    Free Member

Lay back seat post, saddle back on the rails, 70×0 stem, and CS slammed short, so ‘ride it off the back wheel’

Stooge’s Moto bars made a big difference

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Singular Swift (cream) vs Stooge mkii’ is closed to new replies.