Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Singular Puffin+Knard+Dually – It fits!
  • letmetalktomark

Just tried my 29er+ front wheel in the back of my Puffin and it fits.

I’ve had to mock the wheel up using the 170mm QR through the 100mm front hub and equally spacing/centering the wheel but its in.

Ample clearance around the seat stays and the chain stays but maybe only 3-5mm clearance at the chain stay/BB bridge.

Dry rides I would imagine would be fine but muddy rides less so.

Has got me thinking though that a Dirt Wizard on the Dually would allow for a smidge more clearance.

Me feels a project coming on 🙄 😆

Will do pics for those interested.

brianp
    Free Member

I held off the Puffin because no 170mm Rohloff and wanted 29+ to fit. Seems both are now solved.

letmetalktomark

If the lower CS/BB bridge could be modified by a couple of MM with no detrimental effect on CS strength/flex then you would really be on to a winner!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    letmetalktomark

Edit ….. I thought the DW was going to be 2.75” not a full 3.0”

Maybe this isn’t a project for anyone that lives anywhere muddy!

Sam

They just just just squeeze in there, like you I don’t have a 29+ tyre on a 170mm hub so used the same method to check, mine was maybe a couple of mm clearance, perhaps not even rideable… However there are likely to be small manufacturing variation between frames which could mean some have slightly more clearance than others. It would be possible to take maybe a couple of mm off the chainstay bridge/plate without adversely affecting strength.

wwaswas

take maybe a couple of mm off the chainstay bridge/plate without adversely affecting strength.

*breaks out the 230mm angle grinder*

😉

Sam

I’d be more inclined to go at it with a dremel or a hand file – very carefully!

wwaswas

I’m quite happy with the full fat wheels tbh – lap times compared with my partner in the Big Dog who was on a Krampus were virtually the same and it’s not a bike I’d really choose to take if I wanted to get somewhere in a hurry – it’s more about enjoying the ride 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Singular Puffin+Knard+Dually – It fits!’ is closed to new replies.