Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Singular Puffin maximum rear tyre clearance.
  • neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

I am in the process of building up my Singular Puffin and have gotten to the stage of choosing some tyres. As I’d like to maximise my fatness, so to speak, I was wondering, what is the widest tyres you guys are running on the rear of your Singular Puffins? If it helps, I am using 80mm rims and a 1×10 drivetrain.

riddoch

I think I saw somewhere that 4.8″ rear as the maximum. It might have been on one of the blog posts.

letmetalktomark

Sam said a 4.8″ tyre on a 80mm rim will fit in the back.

Frame clearance for 26×4.7? tyres (Surly Big Fat Larry on 80mm rim) Fork clearance for 26×4.8? tyre (Surly Lou on 100mm rim)

A Nate on a Marge Lite fill the rear nicely but I would be curious to see as bigger tyre in the back either on a ML or a RD.

drofluf
    Free Member

Plenty of space for a Nate or Floater on a Rolling Darryl

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I guess I am secretly hoping that I can squeeze a Lou in the rear. According to the Surly Tire Geometry chart it states that there is an 11mm difference between the BFL and the Lou mounted on an 82mm rim. Only 5.5mm per side I know, but it could make all the difference as I don’t know how tight the BFL is in the first place.

Trouble is, it could be a rather costly mistake only to find out they don’t fit. 😀

T1000
    Free Member

Your more likely to be able to fit a ground control in than a Lou

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’d buy a Bud, and try that in the rear, if it fits, buy another for the front its what the Surly guys run as the tyre rolls a lot better than Lou.

I run Bud and Lou on the moonlander but would happily run two Buds.

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Hmm thanks gibbonarms, not a bad idea. What are the implications of having a larger circumference wheel at the front if it doesn’t fit the rear?

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Bud is 13mm taller than Nate so will raise the front end slightly, full specs here:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/how_fat_can_we_go

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Probably no discernible difference then I would guess. Many thanks once again.

T1000
    Free Member

If you ride sticky gloppy mud then your likely to run short of clearance even if you have sufficient clearance in dry conditions

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Yep, that’s a good point.

Sam

Thomas in Germany is running a Bud on a Marge Lite even with a double chainring! I saw it in person and it is VERY tight.

Laurent in France has a Bud on a Rolling Darryl and that is even tighter.

T1000 makes a good point – if you are riding in mud then you want to have more clearance than either offers. I’d go with a BFL if you want volume, or a Nate if you want knobbiness.

T1000
    Free Member

I think a specialized ground Control would make a good compromise sitting somewhere inbetween Nate and Bud in volume

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Wow! That is tight. Thanks chaps, think that has answered my question once and for all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Singular Puffin maximum rear tyre clearance.’ is closed to new replies.