Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singular Gryphon as a cross build?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

So I’ve narrowed my new frame down to 2 choices. Just not sure which direction to take it, either a steel rigid 29er and have 2 bikes (that and the commuter) or I have my eye on the Singular Gryphon and building it as a light dutied cross bike and having just the one (do it all) bike? It does say on the website that you can run drop bars on it but just wondered if anyone has done this at all? At least that way I can change it in the future should I wish. I have an itch for a cx orientated bike and my riding just isn’t hardcore at all anymore which makes me think the Gryphon. Any thoughts at all greatly appreciated as I’m beginning to over think this way too much!

Edit: Yes I know I posted about a Gryphon the other day and a running a flat bar on it but now I’ve find my ideal 29er frame available if I was to go down that route so can now consider the Gryphon frame as a light build.

kcal

definitely look at e.g. Salsa Cowbell flared drop bars as away of getting the dropness without the deep, narrow shape.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I use my 1 x 10 Gryphon for commuting with a set of Conti CX sport tyres on and On One Carnegie bars. Then just swap out tyres and bars (flats) for moutain biking duties.
    I’ve even done a couple of road sportives with it and not come last :-).
    I’m planning on converting to drop bars soon, once I’ve got all the bits together.

charliemort

Gryphon is designed specifically for drop bars I thought, with shorter top tube than a standard mtb?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Gryphon is great. Get one.

😎

Nipper99
    Free Member

Go on then – with Luxy Bars but not light cx mode.

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

OCB
    Free Member

Here’s mine in the woods yesterday afternoon.

Them’s On-One Midge bars, on a 90mm/10º stem, which gives me a nice comfy position.

Pretty similar to Cowbells / Luxy’s (but I dunno if you can still get them tho’).

mikemorini
    Free Member

First incarnation. Now with 1×10 drive train.
    When i first had it I had shoulder problems that prevented me using drops and requiring an upright position that the short top tube helped.
    Now the shoulders sorted I’m going to be changing it round in the next few weeks to drops and Hope Vee twin brakes.

Sam

Lots of Gryphons out there being used as CX/multi purpose bikes, and as flat bar mtb’s for those wanting a bit shorter & closer bar position. They are great for that purpose although being primarily designed as a drop-bar MTB. Here’s a flat bar build I put together recently.

teadrinker
    Free Member

my god that Sam that Gryphon is quite frankly delightful!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singular Gryphon as a cross build?’ is closed to new replies.