Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Singletrackworld Inventors – ride through garden gate
  • pnik

Ive been thinking about this for a while, has anyone made, adapted a garden gate that they can ride through (or over flap style?!) that doesnt require stopping to open and close, but ideally looks relatively normal. May be the big kid in me that watched too much batman etc.

I was thinking a board at mid tyre height and an inner tube spring to close, but it would scrape along the side, you wouldnt get a clean flow unless there was a latch and somekind of secondary release.

Design requirements; mechanical and cheap. More heath robinson the better. Just hit it burst through and on without losing flow.

bearnecessities

nickjb
    Free Member

Just needs a horizontal bar at mid tyre height and a spring to close it doesnt it? Bash it open then ride through before it closes. Same as the cattle gates in the alps.

Stoner
    Free Member

Double action swing door hinges and a roller Latch.

z1ppy

adapt your garden gate into one of these:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipJzKUBJQY[/video]

pnik

Double action swing door hinges and a roller Latch.

Wouldnt last long outdoors though would they? Although i suppose there are outdoors versions available.

pnik

Now z1ppy is on my wavelength, brilliant, not sure my diy skills stretch to thay though.

Mackem

Just get a really big cat flap.

pnik

Mackem yes but where from? I was thinking bottom hinged rather than top and counter weights over pulleys in a bit of polypipe.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just put a small weight and a pulley attached to the gate. Then a board and wheel hight will be quite easy to open and then the weight will gently close it.

tomaso
    Free Member

A simple sprung latch and a two sided ramped catch that can be overwhelmed with a bash from your front wheel with an ordinary sprung gate with hinges that can go both ways.

parkesie
    Free Member

Weight and pulley arrangement or a spring.

Boing

epicyclo

I’d like someone to invent a gate that doesn’t magically lengthen.

You know how when you hold the gate open with one hand, push the bike through, and then go to close the gate, but then the gate hits the rear tyre so you then have to do the swap hands and push bike shuffle? It’s because the gate magically gets longer.

Dunno how they do that… 🙂

pnik

Epicyclo i wondered how that happened, magic was the obvious answer i overlooked.

jono84
    Free Member

length of scafolders board and just ride over the top of it

wiggles
    Free Member

Just build a kicker big enough to clear the fence is the simpler option.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cut through gate posts either side, instal BFO hinges, counterweight in tube against wall, cable over pulley.
    Simplez.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Build a ramp over the wall instead

pnik

Trees are to low to jump over unfortunately, clearly the only reason for ruling out those options.

MoreCashThanDash

Strangely I know exactly what epicycle means…..

edhornby

get one of those big warehouse style plastic flap doors ? in black or green to match the garden

or have staggered fences that are effectively open but you cant see round them

matt_outandabout

Comrie Croft had a wonderful up and over ramp on a wall for years.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Gates are so old hat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Zippys gate vid is epic 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Singletrackworld Inventors – ride through garden gate’ is closed to new replies.