Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • SingleTrackSkiTouringWorld….
  • boblo
    Free Member

Well just to update this with the ‘after’ stuff.

Just returned from a 4 day hut to hut tour around Val d’Isere with a Guide and two chums. I’ve been climbing in the Alps many, many times and this was the first Guided trip for me.

Each day we skinned about a 1000m of vertical ascent and skied another 1000m of descent. Weather and snow conditions were absolutely shite. Very warm with strong southerly winds, very poor viz with flat light, wet cement to ski and very high avalanche risk….

I bought boots (Scarpa Maestrale RS’s) before I went and picked up skis (Scott Cruise Airs), bindings (Dynafit Verticals), skins, poles, ski crampons and touring specific crampons/ice axe over there. I also picked up a decent transceiver/probe/shovel package a well. Prices are much cheaper than the UK especially in Albertville but choice was a bit restricted right at the end of the season.

Despite crap conditions, I’m really up for it again next year as I see it as a natural development to my piste skiing which is getting a bit routine. I’m going to concentrate on improving off piste as this is not something I’ve spent a great deal of time working on in the past.

mugsys_m8

Great stuff. Love ski touring but in reality of it done very little:several 4000m peak trips and quite a few day hits from here in Grenoble. Off to do the dome des écrins on the 14th and might pop up the barre on foot if time allows. Got some brand new waybacks and plum guides sitting in the garage.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘SingleTrackSkiTouringWorld….’ is closed to new replies.