• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tang.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SingletrackDads – Help! Toddler kitchen lockdown content.
  • tang
    Free Member

Our offspring #3, unlike her siblings is totally into draws and cupboards. Being that we live in an open plan house with plenty of both, isolating the danger zone is a problem. I’ve tried some cupboard latch things from the local hardware shop which are not much use, and no good on drawers.
    So, recommendations please for drawer and cupboard anti toddler devices you’ve found that work.

cloudnine
    Free Member

One of those electric wires used to keep cattle in a field..
    Ring fence off child and problem solved.

GrahamS

We’ve got Babydan ones that work with a magnetic key.
    Very good: strong, completely invisible from the outside of the cupboard and you can turn them off when they are not needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NUV3V2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003D08JE8

(They might not work on all drawers though as you need somewhere to attached the latch – so no good for stacks of drawers with no shelves between them)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldbloke
    Free Member

with our two we never found anything that they couldn’t work their way round. In the end just put everything we were worried about higher up or in a cupboard I put a proper lock on.

Their skills did turn out to be handy though when my wife jammed a drawer and they worked out how to release it.

sssimon
    Free Member

basic mothercare ones are good too, even manage to keep the wife out of the cupboards too much to her frustration

geoffj

Plenty of options here – http://www.safetots.co.uk/Safety-Essentials/Kitchen-Safety/Kitchen-Internal-Cupboard-Locks/c1_13_15/index.html

Find something that works with your drawers / cupboards.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve fitted these to our kitchen cupboards to keep our little-one out and they seem to work really well. The only issues we’ve had are that you have to remember where you put the magnet ‘key’ (we just stick it too the fridge), you have to drill a hole in the inside of your cupboard door and the screws that came with it are crap (I used some others that I had in the garage). I like that the outside of the cupboards don’t look any different and they are really easy to switch on and off (so I can switch them off while cooking when I’ll be in and out of the cupboards).

tang
    Free Member

Nice one thanks all.

dannyh
    Free Member

Make sure you put all the really potentially dangerous stuff up high, but make sure they have access to a cupboard lower down with some plastic plates, cups etc in it. Hopefully the ability to trash this cupboard with no bad consequences will satisfy them(!)

GrahamS

you have to drill a hole in the inside of your cupboard door

They BabyDan ones above come with sticky pads and screws. You only need the screws if you need to attach them to unfinished interiors or if your kids look like this:

edhornby

don’t put them on every drawer or cupboard, let them go at the ones with the tea towels and the pots and pans, they can’t damage them

just secure the one under the sink with the hazardous liquids etc

tang
    Free Member

Don’t worry there’s a safe drawer full of Tupperware. Annoyingly all the cupboards are below counter height. In our previous house where the others were born it had a separate kitchen. We didn’t think this was a problem moving here as we weren’t planning on more kids…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SingletrackDads – Help! Toddler kitchen lockdown content.’ is closed to new replies.