Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • singletrack stovistas, show me your woodstores…
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

(been done before in various guises, I know)

we’re looking at tidying our garden by demolishing/repairing the leaking shed – one of the worst parts of which is a breezeblock woodstore / coal bunker – and replacing the woodstore/coal bunker with some more aesthetically pleasing wooden constructions

show off what you’ve made!

thegreatape
    Free Member

No picture, but I bought a cheap windowless garden shed, removed half the slats from the wall that sits 2 feet from the hedge, and drilled loads of holes in the other three sides. Wood dries quickly and it keeps the sideways Scottish rain off it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Could you not just clad the existing blockwork with wood – make it look more aestetically pleasing ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

the whole shed needs partially tearing down (some walls are rotten timber, roof is elderly asbestos and dead plastic, etc) and rebuilding

at this stage, bit of cladding would (sadly) be pointless…

footflaps

I’ve just stacked mine up next to the fence:

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I built one, effectively copying the two bay design here http://www.devonlogstores.co.uk/index.php/products/list/category/log_stores/, adjusting the dimensions to a) fit the space and b) trying to use standard sawn timber lengths wherever possible. Came in at ~1/2 the price shown for something that holds ~50% more volume and took 1/2 day to assemble from a pile of timber. (Have decided the feather edge boards on the roof look a bit naff and will replace these with cedar shingles at some point….)

Have also used the space under some elevate decking (effectively screwing a single pitch roof UNDER the decking and then adding walls)….. next project is to add a lean-too type wood store to the side of an existing large shed where the pitch of the woodstore follows the roof line. All very aesthetic 😉

Ewan
    Free Member
    househusband

Have another store about 1m3 under cover and a chicken shed full of kindling and scrap wood from (woodwork is one subject I teach) school.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stacked like foot flaps is fine, even against the sheltered end of your house, maybe just need somewhere to keep handy and dry for a few weeks before burning (like the one you can just see in footflaps picture?).

I have two like Ewan’s, they measure 2m wide, 1m deep and 2m high, so they hold 4m3 of tightly stacked logs. One of these does me a whole winter, and I also have a bigger store, which holds about 6m3, but I don’t tightly stack, this one is next to my chopping area, so I chop and throw them in. I try to have two years wood, at the very least, though due to a few wee windfalls, I’ve currently got 3 years wood and a few people wanting me to cut trees down for them too. It’s very hard to say no!.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You did ask 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Just stacking logs in-front of ugly walls goes a long way:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother, a couple of friends from California and I built this in a few hours.

Very simple design, bolting a 4×2 to the back wall, three 4×4 posts, some 4×2 bracing from the wall to the posts and some simple brackets for lateral stability.

5thElephant, that is brilliant, loving the shed too.

globalti
    Free Member

Just a couple of pallets cut in half and a lean-to roof made from old conservatory plastic roof covered in roofing felt; holds around two builders’ bags, which is enough for a full winter season.

The location is very good: this is on the south-facing wall of the house, which is also at the side so the prevailing westerly wind whistles through and dries everything fast, while the sun keeps everything nice and warm. The wood would not season as well in a damp manky sheltered location.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

thanks all

ours will be a standalone – liking the

copying the two bay design here

(bristolbiker) – two of those doubles (so a quad) look like the right kind of space for us.

mcmoonter, you must have what would be a lifetimes supply on our stove!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

mcmoonter, you must have what would be a lifetimes supply on our stove!

He’s the exact opposite of Red Adair, running about that big house, trying to keep all the fires going! 😀

ski
    Free Member

I have made a few different types, but these were designed to be folded flat when empty so you could vary the number you needed depending on the amount of wood you have.

Pallet as a base, hinged at the top, simple feather boards and old wood, used to make a frame, bit of guttering to finish off at the top.

samuri
    Free Member

Store number 1 with some tidying to do.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/iFsbk3]Wood store[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Store number 2
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/odsEng]Full Wood Store[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

ourmaninthenorth

Holds 4m3, which was more than we needed last year. Top up due to be delivered next Tuesday.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘singletrack stovistas, show me your woodstores…’ is closed to new replies.