• This topic has 72 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by taka.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • singletrack pump track ( not good )
  • nbt

taka – Member

have you got permission?
    Posted 1 month ago

Benji Haworth – Moderator

aye
    Posted 1 month ago

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wanna-help-us-build-a-pump-track/page/2

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nbt
    If STW did lie and mislead people, potentially misleading people into tresspass and vandalism, then how far do you dare push this? I'm sure they're watching 😉

nbt

I've got my tin foil hat on

bigyinn
    Free Member

My point was im not too bothered if someone is somewhere they shouldn't be as long as they dont cause damage. I dont think thats hypocritical, i think thats reasonable compromise.

If STW didnt have permission or consent from the landowner then i think its highly irresponsible of them, but i dont think they'd be that stupid somehow, do you? Especially as there was supposed to be an article written off the back of it and published.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

but i dont think they'd be that stupid somehow, do you?

Oh blimey!

barca
    Free Member

Not my point Grumm, no.
    My point (I'm sure you see it and it can't be denied) is:
    Riding your bike where you shouldn't and then moaning about motorbikes doing the same or moaning about walkers doing the same or horse riders doing the same or any other user group you care to think of doing the same is hypocritical.

BUT Bigyinn, this ISN'T the point I'm making. I don't care if they built a track on the roof of House of Commons. My point is as above. Moaning about others being where they shouldn't be and then moaning about people moaning about them for riding where they shouldn't be is hypocritical and they get right on my nerves

nbt

Riding your bike where you shouldn't and then moaning about motorbikes doing the same or moaning about walkers doing the same or horse riders doing the same or any other user group you care to think of doing the same is hypocritical.

But we're not moaning abut them riding where they shouldn't. We're moaning about the excessive amounts of damage they cause when they ride.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I can't be bothered reading all this whiney STW in fighting, so I'll just say-

WELL DONE TOM!

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!

barca
    Free Member

"But we're not moaning abut them riding where they shouldn't. We're moaning about the excessive amounts of damage they cause when they ride."

On this particular occasion, possibly. Week in, week out in other threads, not.

"We're moaning about the excessive amounts of damage they cause when they ride"

So are the hikers when they moan about cyclists going off road. Fair enough. Let anybody moan about anything they want just that when a [erson or group of people moan about something they do themselves (riding where they shouldn't) they're hypocrites.

I'm very happy with that stance. Happy to say it here and happy to say it while riding my bicycle on a footpath. I won't however moan on here or on the footpath about others despite their means of propulsion. I'd love to see a Sherman Tank on Holiday Lane for instance.

AndyP
    Free Member

Singletrack track pump? hunh?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

petang yang kipperbang? hunh! 😕

MrAgreeable

I farted just now. Cumulatively, I've farted quite a lot in my life. Does that make me as bad as Dow Chemical?

Oh and re the council "banning" motor bikes from a patch of ground, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless it's a road or an unrestricted byway, or the landowner has given permission, my understanding is that they shouldn't be there in the first place. Something the police seem to have agreed with.

You don't see signs saying "Kindly refrain from stabbing strangers in the face" because everyone knows it's illegal. Just the same as even the thickest off-road motorcyclists know that riding anywhere that isn't a road, byway or private track is illegal.

barca
    Free Member

"Does that make me as bad as Dow Chemical?"

Dunno Mr A, that's a long way from my point. I suppose if you moaned about unnatural air polution and then made an unnatural air polluting smell, you'd be hypocritical.
    I'm off now, bye,

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Before the council closed the lay-by, I wonder why the police weren't there every weekend rounding everyone up? it used to be like Coed Llandelga on a weekend. doesn't the landowner have to make a complaint or something? Although not necessarily giving conscent, the landowner certainly allowed it and possibly still does.

taka
    Free Member

i dont have a problem ewith motorbikers (being one myself) its just when you get them few who brake the law and p1ss people off

nbt

So are the hikers when they moan about cyclists going off road.

not they;re not, they're moaning about the world not being the way they want it. that's a separate argument though. I can see why MXers do what they do, I just don;t always want them to do it on the tracks I enjoy 🙂

oopnorth
    Free Member

Knowing the area & its history…it was the wrong place to build a pump track if you didn`t want motorbikes on it, it was always going to happen.

MrAgreeable

BA, the landowner doesn't have to complain in person, it's a criminal offence. If by allowed it, you mean why he didn't get the rozzers involved before, that depends on lots of things – him being there to see them doing it, for example, or their activities causing enough disturbance and damage to warrant reporting them. Depends who owns the land as well – if it's owned by a company for example then any presence by the owner may be extremely sporadic.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I saw an empty hall round the corner, has he gone to pick a fight in it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don't know who owns it otherthan it's a local farmer, It's been used by motorbikes for donkeys years. The lay-by/car park was always full on a weekend. I believe someone died there recently, so the council took steps to stop it by closing the lay-by that everyone parked in. It might be the case that it was just tolerated in the past by police and landowner, until this death happened.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Three local newspaper articals about it, for anyone who's interested

keighley news
    keighley news
    telegraph and Argus

delusional
    Free Member

Jees, people are pretty narrow minded about their hobbies aren't they? Here's a nice point for you: motorbikers are just people who like riding bikes, just like you. Except it's much harder for them to find places to ride.

If someone on a motorbike rides across your pump track / downhill track / jumps / etc, normally the best course is to have a nice chat with them and point out that it took you a lot of work to build and them a little time to destroy. I imagine you'll find that they don't mean to be malicious, they just didn't realise/consider the damage they were doing.

MrAgreeable

I've just bought a jetski. I reckon I'll start by giving it a go on the village duck pond. I mean, if there are no signs saying not to, then it's probably OK, right?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You'll probably be fine Mr Agreeable, and I think I'll go and build a pump track in my neighbours back garden. I mean, I haven't asked permission, but it's overgrown and neglected and people throw rubbish in it, so it's probably OK, right?

MrAgreeable

You have a point in that both of us would be doing something illegal. However, unless you fenced off your pump track or made it so techy that no-one else could ride it, only one of us would be a selfish c–t.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

LOL

Speshpaul

Sometimes people don't do themselves or their fellow rides any favours
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJZGfY2uJ4&feature=related
    Act like a T*** and then post it on the internet, just to give the people who want you banned from rights of way some ammo!

As for calling the cops, well the cops wouldn't have acted unless a offence had been committed (would they?)

taka
    Free Member

if the berms were dug in they couldnt damage them as the pumps are fine bar marks? which is full of water :mrgreen:

dobby156
    Free Member

Just a quick revisit, has anyone been back up there recently, what condition is it in? I helped out on the first day. I aren't able to go there as I am in Manchester now, but I a interested to know.

Thanks

taka
    Free Member

ruined…

dobby156
    Free Member

sighs, what a waste.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'm dead against motorbikes riding round the woods, even though I'm not supposed to be there either.

Bit hypocritical but I don't care. What's so bad about being a hypocrite anyway?

I can understand Taka calling the cops if he was cross about this biker jumping over his bike, but even I can't get too upset at the thought of MX bikes being ridden round a quarry.

If this place is known to be a mecca for MXers, this pump track getting trashed does sound like it was inevitable.

taka
    Free Member

themz mx riders have a nice set of berms/pumps they have built it would be terrible if someone went over them with a 4×4 😈

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘singletrack pump track ( not good )’ is closed to new replies.