Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Singletrack House – underfloor heating and recessed light questions..
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m thinking of moving my office back into the house but the room I want to use is pretty small so looking at losing the small rad off the wall and fitting electric underfloor heating with a wooden floor over it so I’m not getting stuck in the carpet with the chair..

Any recommendations on wattage or kits to heat a 3m x 3m room?
    Any recommendations on how to cap off the old radiator?

I’m also going to fit some recessed led lights as the current light fitting is in the way when standing and it’ll be a cleaner look… I’m sure the draw will be less as I’m going to LED but is there anything else I have to consider when wiring up 4 recessed lights off what was once a single fitting?

If the lights go well I’m thinking of doing all my landing and bathroom too if that helps any suggestions?

Thanks!

tjagain

Does the room have insulation above it? YOu also “need” fire caps over them as well as some air circulation IIRC
    I fitted 6 in my bathroom – no issues as I had a false ceiling to work with

alexxx
    Free Member

The loft is above these rooms so yep it’ll be insulated – there are some on ebay I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-MiniSun-Brushed-Chrome-LED-Recessed-Tiltable-Fire-Rated-Downlights-6500K-/351862737623?hash=item51eca74ad7:g:CH0AAOSwNRdX8ih0

Fire caps – good shout do they just get siliconed air tight over the light or literally just rested?

tjagain

You willneed to do something with the insulation unless the light fittings are vented – supposed to have airflow around them. I found some regs on line for this sort of stuff. Depends really if you want to do it correctly to regs or just have it working

sharkbait
    Free Member

LED lights run a whole lot cooler than halogen so I’m not so sure about the requirement to move the insulation but you could also fit some kitchen/bathroom rated downlight fittings which are completely enclosed.

goldfish24

And yes, the fire hoods just sit over the top. They’re designed to melt and form a seal in the event of a fire in the office, preventing that fire from spreading into the loft and quickly takin the whole house.

russ295
    Free Member

http://www.beamled.com/biard-6w-round-panel-light-led.html

I’ve fitted these in my kitchen and there great. They don’t give off a spotty light like down lights.
    You only need hoods or fire rated lights if there is a habital room above.
    If it’s the loft and you can get access, stick a clay plant pot on top.

sharkbait
    Free Member

For the sake of a couple of quid I wouldn’t bother crawling around the roof space with flower pots and just fit these

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

To answer your question about the floor, You can only fit the lower wattage heating cable under wooden floor so 100-150w/m2 the floor must have a limiter of 27 deg too. 3x3m is 9m2 x 100w = 900w I use Devimat and Reg’s daily, so I’d recommend those, but many more are available.

I’d go for an engineered wooden floor rather than solid wood over UFH as it’s more stable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack House – underfloor heating and recessed light questions..’ is closed to new replies.