• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Singletrack daytrip from Nottingham – where to go?
  • petem77
    Free Member

Looking for some single track MTBing reachable from Nottingham.
    Any suggestions where to go / where to research?
    We’ve done a week in the Alps. Looking for something other than flat muddy tracks – single track, hills & rocky descents are ideal.
    We’re going within the next few weeks so I guess that may rule out many routes as we’re now well into the wet & muddy winter season.

tall_martin

How reachable do you want?

The dark peak is 1 to 1.5h away by car and has some great stuff thats ok in the winter.

There’s nothing like the alps round this way though:)
    Martin

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m heading to the Peak District on tuesday if you want to come along?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I live in Nottingham and the Peaks is my usual playground. Happy to show you around on a Sunday if you like.

iain1775
    Free Member

from Nottingham the options are almost endless
    Peaks
    Cannock
    Sherwood Pines (I guess not)
    Long Myndd
    Llandegla
    Yorks Moors
    Dalby
    Gisburn / Lee Quarry

Really depends totally on what you want, natural or TC, and how long you want to be riding over driving (esp this time of year with limited daylight)

Diane
    Free Member

Peaks!

petem77
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Preferences are single track, rocky, some (maybe lots) of climbing/descents; don’t like mud (too much of that near hemel Hempstead where we’re based).
    Which of the areas suggested best match these, and what are approximate travel times from Nottingham?
    We’ll probably be going on a Saturday (thanks for your Sunday offer Onzadog). Starting out from Hemel collecting member of party from Nottingham… so we’ll already have been on the road for 1.5hrs plus when we leave Nottingham.
    BTW, what’s wrong with Sherwood Pines?

Diane
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines is a nice forest but not very ‘exciting’ – great if it’s on your doorstep but you wouldn’t want to travel for an away day there.

petem77
    Free Member

“depends on what you want, natural or TC” Please forgive my ignorance – what is TC?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Diane – Member

Sherwood Pines is a nice forest but not very ‘exciting’ – great if it’s on your doorstep but you wouldn’t want to travel for an away day there.

I’d actually go as far as to say that even though it’s on the doorstep, I still wouldn’t ride there, especially these days 🙂

restless
    Free Member

cannock is only an hour or so from nottingham (depending on whereabouts in notts you are) and much better than sherwood pines 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines in 5 mins ride from my front door, used to ride there 2/3 times a week, but since the trail ‘improvements’ I’ve been there once since the summer.
    Some of the trails are very good fun if you can find them away from the main marked trail, but ther amount of traffic on them has wrecked them, especially while it’s this wet.

iain1775
    Free Member

TC = Trail centre
    pines is a shit muddy flat horrible place unless you know the unmarked trails and even then its not great
    from what yoy say it has to be Peaks, plenty of good routes to choose from – http://www.monkeyspoon.co.uk

ctk
    Free Member

Yep Sherwood Pines is a bit too muddy in the winter- but fun in the summer. I lived in Nottingham for a while and I’m going to be moving back to Nottingham soon. I’d love to find some decent trails rideable from Nottingham? I found a few off Mapperly Top but not enough!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack daytrip from Nottingham – where to go?’ is closed to new replies.