Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Singletrack car stereo world – advice on iPod connectivity needed
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Got a Golf with the RCD300 stereo in it. Looking for something that will integrate an iPod nicely with this. By nicely I mean that track lists come up on the head unit display and it’s all friarly straight forward to use (otherwise mrs blobby will complain endlessly.)

I was thinking of just getting one of the parrot hands free kits that allow you to plug in an iPod, but don’t know how well integrated these solutions are (not that clear on their web site.)

Anyone got any other alternatives/advice…?

mrmo
    Free Member

i changed the head unit for an Alpine on my old Octavia, and the new Polo just works from new.

Both work fine and are easy to use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You could look at the Dension ICElink – dead easy to fit but it doesn’t show up on the head unit.

However you can get them with cradles for most cars (I assume the Golf will be available) so you just simply use the iPod controls so it is pretty foolproof.

EDIT: Linky http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/VW_iPod_Ice_Link_Plus_Adapter

And when you change car you can whip it out in minutes and sell it on Ebay.

xiphon
    Free Member

Kenwood head unit over here – plugs straight into the iPod via a nice long cable. All wires + iPod are hidden out of view 🙂

iPod is controlled via the head unit too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have the same head unit. It’s unable to display text so you will not be able to show tacks/playlists on it regardless of what system you use to connect the iPod – to get this feature you’ll need to fit a text capable head unit (not difficult).
    I fitted a Dension Gateway 100 to our Golf and it’s great. Dont really miss the track listings as I ran the connector cable to the little pocket in front of the gear stick so you can easily pick the ipod up and select artist/almub/playlists etc.
    Pretty easy to fit too.
    I wouldn’t bother with BT connection as sound quality isn’t quite as good (mate has one).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. May well go for the Denison gateway 100 if it’s nice and easy to fit. Does it charge the iPod too?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yup – Charge your iPod/iPhone while driving

sharkbait
    Free Member

You buy two bits, the gateway itself and then the correct wiring loom for your car/stereo.
    [*]Installation process is as follows:
    Remove the ‘tray’ on top of the dashboard
    Remove the stereo surround
    Undo a couple of screws and pull the stereo out a bit
    Remove the esisting wiring loom from the back of the stereo and plug into one end of the new supplied loom from Dension
    Plug the other end of the new loom into the stereo
    Push the stereo back into the dashboard
    Refit surround and dashboard tray[/*]
    Realistically takes 10 mins. There are loads of howto’s for removing the stereo on t’interweb.
    Gateway will charge the iPod and you can control it from the head unit/steering wheel or the ipod itself.
    You can also connect a USB drive and a BT connector for your phone as well if you want.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds pretty good. Does it work ok with an iPhone 4? (i.e. will it charge it properly?)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not sure, ours doesn’t charge a 3gs properly. But we’ve had ours for nearly two years so they may well have changed the gateway to reflect the ‘new’ charging voltage.

Edit: Just checked and we must have a v1 of the gateway, subsequent versions should charge fine. There is an adapter available for the v1 to allow it to charge the 3g, 3gs, 4 (most likely).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just done a bit of googling and it looks like you need a different cable and some power booster for iPhone 4. Not a big deal as I was going to just play stuff from an old iPod. Shall give this a go.

Thanks all for the help.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You sure? I’d check with Dension. I thought the charging voltage was the same for the iPhone 3 and 4 in check case the v2 or newer of the gateway will be fine.
    you’re googling may be giving results for people who have a v1 gateway and need the adapter (link above) to change the voltage.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks sharkbait. Checked the comparability thing on the Dension site and it still wasn’t clear about the iPhone 4 charging. Brought the xcarlink one in the end as it claims to be ok with iPhone 4 and seems to be pretty much the same thing.

sssimon
    Free Member

sharkbait you for got the bit where the heater vents drop out and fall apart and your wife spends the next 2 years moaning at you to go but new ones from vw

or maybe that was just me, gateway works well though!

konabunny
    Free Member

the page has gone all weird!

sharkbait
    Free Member

SSS…. I think that’s just you 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

aparently not!

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98827

part number here if you too have made a mess of your dash!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack car stereo world – advice on iPod connectivity needed’ is closed to new replies.