Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • singletrack calendar
  • muggomagic

Noticed on the singletrack calendar that March 17th, the note states ride a green bike. I took this to mean that we should do this to celebrate St. Patrick's day, the patron saint of Ireland. When I flipped the calendar over to April this morning expecting a similar note for April 23rd (something along the lines of ride a morris dancer), I was suprised to see no mention of St. George's day, flipped the calendar back to March and no mention of St. David's day. No mention of St. Andrew's day in November either (had to google that one).

It may well have been a coincidence that the ride green bike note was on the same square as Guiness day, but it makes me wonder is March 17th so widely known and celebrated due to Guiness marketing or is it that the English, Scottish and Welsh just don't feel the same way about their patron saints?

Pook

Yes it is. Dara O Briain in his book "Tickling the English", talks at length on this very subject and it's rather interesting to read. I'll try to dig it out tonight.

mrmo
    Free Member

who knows, at least St Patrick and St David were locals, i mean St George was Turkish/Armenian/Georgian!

Drac

Why would I give a ****?

Pook

dunno drac, but you care enough to comment

Drac

But don't care enough to be worried about trivial things like dates on calendars and dead 'saints'

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘singletrack calendar’ is closed to new replies.