Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Singletrack, bothy, not *too* much distance or climbing…
  • matt_outandabout

/scotroutes to the forum, scotroutes to the forum

Eldest OAB has decided we *have* to do a bothy this summer, and he wants to combine with riding.

Being 13, only singletrack with a reasonable amount of adrenaline and ‘flow’ is acceptable, with minimal landrover tracks.
    Any climbing with bike on his back also seems ‘out’ and likely to induce usual state of grumpy_oab.
    A big climb I think we could go for.

I was thinking:

Ruigh Aiteachain and Carn Ban Mor?
    Ryvoan and Bynack More?
    Inshriach/Drakes and lots of fun round the forest?

Any other suggestions?

13thfloormonk

Loch Chiarain?

If you did it from Kinlochleven up the WHW then it is a big landrover track climb, an exciting crossing of the reservoir, a boggy flat 2km then some lovely singletrack to the door of the bothy (mostly uphill).

Next day you can return the same way.

However if you approached from Kinlochleven up the Mamore Lodge track, across the outflow of Loch Eilde Mor and then following the obvious track up and around the hills to the bothy, it’s one big long descent to the bothy on some really awesome singletrack. Next day you could return the same way for more descending.

I’m trying to think of your 13 year old when I type this, although I’m not sure how long the climbs would be on a bike, I hiked them.

Edit: Maybe verging on too big a ride to be honest, maybe check the distances!

whitestone
    Free Member

In the same area is Meananach bothy – it’s the one just after the river crossing on the Tour of Ben Nevis. You can get to it by continuing along the Loch Eilde Mor track or by getting the train to Corrour and riding down to Loch Treig then along the Abhainn Rath though there is some hike-a-bike on here. You can then leave by heading to Roy Bridge though there’s a bit of h-a-b here.

There’s also the bothy at the head of Glen Affric, forget its name now.

Culra is still closed due to asbestos I believe.

matt_outandabout

Glen Affric

I would love that, but memory is that it is undulating land rover track??

whitestone
    Free Member

Quite possibly – not been to it – was remembering it being used by some of the HT550 riders. Part of the problem, as you are no doubt aware, is that routes go very quickly from being somewhat tedious landrover tracks to hike-a-bike without much in between.

I’ll have a think on the commute home 8)

13thfloormonk

Meananach could work from Spean Bridge, quite a long landrover track then quad track climb for nice rocky singletrack descent. Wouldn’t fancy dragging a 13 year old along the Abhainn Rath though!

Maybe worth driving to Melgarve at the foot of the Corrieyairaick but then heading over to Luib Chonnal in Glen Roy? The track looks pretty good on Geograph…

globalti
    Free Member

Suardalan near Glenelg, an easy ride up a few miles of track with some fascinating brochs to explore on the way, plus a pub back at the village for the triumphant return. Ride south around the coast to Eilanreach then head east as far as you can go, through Balvraid, and keep going for a couple of miles more until the track peters out, then the bothy is due north.

fergal
    Free Member

You won’t find any sublime singletrack at either Bynack mor or Carn Ban mor, been raped by the fun police, gravel and mahoosive water bars now, my money would be on Inshriach, ride out to Glen Feshie and do the nice bit of singletrack on the north side, short climb, great little loop, my boy loved it.

scotroutes

Lots of lovely singletrack near Drakes, including a wee bit that ends at the cake shop.

Another option would be over the Burma Road and turn upstream a short distance to the Red Bothy. Not too well known so more chance of it being quiet. Return via Sluggan and Carrbridge. Mostly landie track though

kcal

Sourlies? !! singletrack – tick. Elevation – ah, maybe not…

scotroutes

TBH, it’s difficult to think of a bothy approached by nice singletrack. Their history and current usage tends to put them on good through-routes or maintained estate tracks.

matt_outandabout

That was my thought, hence asking. I w look at your suggestions tonight with him..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack, bothy, not *too* much distance or climbing…’ is closed to new replies.