Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Singlespeed/track bike- Need a new chain. Which one??
  • hora
    Free Member

Chain is ‘abit’ loose and under torque came off the rear cog this morning.

I’ve never had a new chain on there before so…..any ideas on what I should replace it with? A mountain bike one wouldnt last long??

Nick

Sram PC-1

Del

pimpy – izumi super toughness v
    not pimpy – any old cheap shit bmx chain as suggested above, or kmc do some marginally nicerer ones for less than a tenner.

john_l
    Free Member

why don’t you just re-tension the one you’ve got?

hora
    Free Member

How? I cant go any further along the dropout on the driveside without the tyre touching against the inner chainstay

JoB
    Free Member

eh?

can you move the wheel back a bit in the track-end so the chain is a bit tighter?

Stoner
    Free Member

eh?

if the chain has stretched then take a link out and the wheel will be forward in the track end. If it touches the chainstay at the BB end then dont take a link out and pull the hub back in the trackend. There should be enough range in the trackend to accomodate a link of movement.

MrSmith
    Free Member

hora isn’t known for his mechanical skills and has a tendency to live out any little life-crisis on this forum. so just humour him a bit and try to explain your answers as if talking to a 10 year old child.

Del

😯

hora
    Free Member

The chain was on the bike when I bought it two years ago (i.e. secondhand then). It is stretched and rather waiting for it to snap (thus banging my knee on the sodding bars or falling off etc) I’d rather spend a tenner for piece of mind. Especially as cars tend to drive alongside you on a road- a tenner is nowt! 😀

AdamM
    Free Member

SRAM PC-1X has always worked well for me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

hora id you move the wheel backwards to tension the chain and the wheel rubs inside the stay then your frame is bent.

hora
    Free Member

Oh. i’ll pop it into the mechanic to check that out 😯

john_l
    Free Member

chains don’t stretch

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed/track bike- Need a new chain. Which one??’ is closed to new replies.