Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Singlespeeding It
  • butcher

There’s an old GT laying around in bits in the spare room. It’s been there since the beginning of time almost. A fair while anyway. And so I’m thinking it’s about time I got my hands dirty and built it back up.

However, since I already have 3 bikes it doesn’t make sense to recreate what I already have, hence singlespeeding it. It’ll probably only be used for shopping trips really, and the odd quick blast. Not because of any real needs – more because it’s already there. A proper old hack. So I want to spend as little money as possible.

What do I need – Singlespeed kit freehub jobby wotsit (I see On-One are doing them for a tenner), and a chain tensioner (vertical dropout)? Is that everything?

I’ll need a chain too, but apart from the obvious, is there anything else, and any recommendations for really good bargains?

scottpat06
    Free Member

Superstar for ss kit and tensioner cheap cheap.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dont get a superstar tensioner they are crap.

footflaps

Half Link Chain and a SS kit for the cassette – tensioners are unnecessary.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

any chain will do, even an old one unless its goosed

used a superstar kit for a while no probs just the same as other brands with different badge. (personally i’d go for the static style over the spring loaded ones)

butcher

Do I need a singlespeed chainring up front. Or can I ghetto it with the middle ring from a triple?

meehaja
    Free Member

any old chain, any old mech, thread cable backwards and lock it up as a tensioner. ride it like you stole it.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Surly Singleator. Best 40 quid you’ll ever spend and it will never ever die.

Gusset 1 1/8 Slinky Chain.

DMR SSKit’s the standard.

Do not buy a DMR Tensionseeker 2.

Let’s talk ratios 😈

footflaps

SS sprockets are wider (8sp) so you normally need an 8sp chain. Any chainring will do as you can use an 8sp chain on a 9/10sp chainring.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Do I need a singlespeed chainring up front. Or can I ghetto it with the middle ring from a triple?

nope it will be fine.

footflaps

Much tidier using a half link chain, than having a tensioner in the way:

Ragley Ti Single Speed by brf, on Flickr

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Being thick here, but what’s a half link chain?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

footflaps…

How much for your shiny bike?

😥

dday

Half link chain is just what is says, more links allow better adjustment of the chain tension. Half link chains stretch too, so be ready to re-adjust the chain. Strongly recommend half link chain, or BMX style chain. Standard cassette based chains will break, eventually.

cardo

You could always ask Charlie… nice guy, good advice, independant bike shop that sells all things Singlespeed.. One geared bike shop chap

charliedontsurf

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M9lvl8LM8[/video]

Watch that and buy this….

One speed kit

charliedontsurf

Half link chains and no tensioner can work, but not for long, it does not allow for chain stretch.

footflaps

Half link chains and no tensioner can work, but not for long, it does not allow for chain stretch.

Just take a half link out when it stretches…

footflaps

How much for your shiny bike?

I bought the frame off STW Classifieds for half price….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeding It’ is closed to new replies.