Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Singlespeeding – Flats or SPDs?
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Just bought a rigid Inbred as my introduction to SSing. I normally use SPDs, but have been slightly paranoid about churning away in the South Downs on them having torn some cartilage in my left knee a couple of years ago (partly caused by overdoing it on the bike).
    I’m probably just worrying needlessly, but before I go and knacker myself again, is it likely to be better for my knees on flats?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Something comfy to walk in?

BigJohn

I’ve done it both ways. There comes a point up steep hills with flats that you stand on the pedal and nothing happens. That’s about the only difference.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Something comfy to walk in?

😀

Definitely some rugged hiking boots and flat pedals. It seems to be en vogue on STW at the moment.

anono

I prefer flats generally but reckon SPDs are best for SS – worth it for the extra help you get on the upstroke.
    I’ve had knee pain in the past (mainly from running) but had spds on the SS for more than a year, and never had any flare up of the knee problems.

mattjg
    Free Member

SPDs to help on the upstroke.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Spds not sure if flats are allowed on SS’s.

finnbar
    Free Member

my knees are shot from years of playing gaelic football….winter hurts like a bitch. I ride egg beaters on my singlespeed and I’ve found them very comfy but they need a fair bit of maintenance or they’ve got a short lifespan. a little bit of deep heat on the back of my knee helps too.

Northwind

Whichever one you like.

Prophet2
    Free Member

SPDs all the way on my MTB SS and commuter SS.

Cheezpleez

SPDs give a definite advantage when the ups get steep IME. Never had any knee problems from SSing either (well, only from crashing 😳 )

cardo

I’ve found SPD’s work much more efficiently on SS , but it’s the only bike I’m clipped onto and does produce a laugh when you forget and stop without unclipping… 😳

Lionheart
    Free Member

On and off both types for various reasons, would say spds for SS really helps, I am constantly amazed what one can can get up on a single speed and the spds help that. Reckon it also helps when spinning on a SS. Have ridden flats, either all a bit more casual or I feel like I am on a bmx/jump bike and I am pretty bad (old) on those.

bikebouy
    Free Member

SPD’s, again for the pull on the upstroke and also security when spinning.

miketually
    Free Member

I use flats on my SS. Ride whatever you want.

jezandu
    Free Member

Miketually is right, ride whatever you like, I really don’t like this idea that if you ride ss you must abide by some kind of weird set regulation like steel frames, growing beards etc. I ride spd because I love them. If you are worried about your knees then get some with plenty of float like Time Atac or speedplay.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t get why you guys have gone off on a “do what you want” kick. Of course you can do what you want. Was it ever questioned? Who said anything about beards?

The OP asked for opinions about pedals and people gave them. That’s all that happened here.

jezandu
    Free Member

Sorry should have quoted. Eyerideit put just below your comment ‘not sure if flats are allowed on ss’

Cheezpleez

I have got a beard at the moment. But I’m not enjoying it.

mattjg
    Free Member

No beard here but I do have a MOvember. Where do I stand?

Oh bugger and my frame is steel too….

eyerideit
    Free Member

Oh bugger and my frame is steel too….

But is it 853 steel? 😆

You get entered into a free ‘insta-beard’ prize draw it if is.

mattjg
    Free Member

No, unbranded. (So it might be!)

jezandu
    Free Member

…….Im starting to feel like a ss heathen!

MrAgreeable

Flats here. I did clip in for a filthy muddy ‘cross race on Sunday. It didn’t help.

It’s worth noting that if you pull up on SPDs you’re using quite a weak group of muscles which aren’t really adapted to propelling you forward. Definitely see the advantages of being clipped in but that’s probably not one of them.

Which muscles are really used during the pedal stroke?

mattjg
    Free Member

…….Im starting to feel like a ss heathen!

That’s OK, heathenism fits right in with beards, steel and SPDs.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that if you pull up on SPDs you’re using quite a weak group of muscles which aren’t really adapted to propelling you forward. Definitely see the advantages of being clipped in but that’s probably not one of them.

Fair point. I think the SPDs help my upcoming foot stay in touch with the pedal (on a tough climb when it’s all gone a bit wobbly and sweary) rather than helping with power at all.

Now swearing, I do find that helps. If you’re ever out riding in the dark in Surrey and hear someone shouting “get up there you effing barsteward cunmentionable”, it’s probably me SSing.

miketually
    Free Member

I ride on flats and wear “barefoot” shoes 🙂

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Many thanks for (most of) the input, will give it a spin with SPDs, and write an incoherent rant on here about the haters when / if my knee pops out.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m agreeing with Mr Agreeable on this. Being clipped is more helpful with the bottom park of the pedal stroke where you can drag your foot backwards, the upstroke should take care of itself.

When pulling up on a climb there’s always the risk of becoming unclipped and kneeing yourself in the face or lifting the back wheel up as your weight’s forward.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Can only say on my freewheel single speed, I climbed a 100 ft climb in spuds, was amazed I did it and could speak. Was great pulling on the backstroke, ie pedalling in circles.
    It’s a hill used by welwyn wheelers who count Laura Trott as a member for timed hill climbs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeding – Flats or SPDs?’ is closed to new replies.