• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Singlespeeding at SITS
  • monkeyp

So I am doing SITS solo in a few weeks time. Hopefully, the weather Gods will buck their ideas up and bless us with scorching gale force winds between now and then followed by mild and dry weather for the event. This will mean I will be able to ride the Cannondale Rush.

However, in preparation for a repeat of Mayhem, I have kitted out my rigid Orange P7 as a singlespeed. Currently I am riding 32:16 which is OK around Clent (just about), however, if the conditions are a bit crappy at SITS, what gear would be recommended? Would it be worth upping/downing it to 32:18? 32:20?

I seem to remember that it wasn’t too hilly apart from the start and a few short sharp bits.

I am new to this singlespeed lark so any guidance would be welcome.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

32:16 should be ok. Although 32:18 might be better if you are solo just to save your legs a bit. I did it solo singlespeed about 3 or 4 years ago when it was horrendous. The only people out in the midnight rain were the singlespeeders although there was a lot of pushing.

MaD
    Free Member

Ditto what scholarsgate said.

I’ve SS’d at SITS a few times, 32:16 is fine and you won’t be having to un-clog your bike half as much as the geared riders. You could change to 32:18 but I doubt you’ll gain much, personally I’d find the higher ratio annoying due to spinning out on the flats and on the lower gradient climbs.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

cp

it might be worth thinking about flat pedals and walking boots for it too – so when you do walk your not clagging up the cleats and spending half the lap not actually clipped in anyway, precariously balancing on a clogged SPD pedal!

monkeyp

Righto – thanks for the advice.

singlespeed, rigid and 1.7″ GEAX Barro Mud tyres it is. Should give me over an inch of mud clearance each side at the front with the Carbon forks!

Still hoping I can ride the Rush as much as possible though. The front should be fine with a Lefty – mud isn’t an issue there!

Quite enjoying 1 gear though

cp

Classie 1.5 conti xc is where it’s at in the mud 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeding at SITS’ is closed to new replies.