Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • singlespeed wheel advice
  • grantus
    Free Member

sorry – had a quick google but being a bit lazy so just thought i’d ask here anyway.

Have bought a Genesis io-iD frame. Would like to build it up as a singlespeed crosser so was going to just get geared 29er disc wheelset and use a spacer kit rather than buy a singlespeed specific wheelset.

Question is would it be fairly easy to swap out the disc for a velosolo bolt on cog if I ever felt the need to play about on it fixed and do away with the rear brake or am I being thick thinking that would work?

toppers3933
    Free Member

double check a 29er wheel will fit because its a 26er frame. they probably will but worth a check.

And yes that should work fine.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

would work no problems, bu you may need washers to make sure the chainline is right,

All explained on the velosolo site, I’ve done it and it works a treat.

grantus
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

TiRed

The io-iD is a 26er. Are you swapping the forks too? I run mine SS with standard Hope/Stan’s Crest wheels and Onza freehub spacers. I can only find one 26″ cyclocross tyre – anyone seen anything other than Conti CX-pro?

EDIT: just measured. 26″ and 2.2 Nobby Nics are 67cm. The seatstay bridge has 3 cm of clearance. 700c with a 23c tyre is 68 cm. So if you add a 33c tyre with nobblies, you should retain 1cm of rear mud clearance. This will raise the BB by 1 cm and you’ll need a 700c fork. Just given me a reason to “invest” in a new wheelset 😉

grantus
    Free Member

hey mate. I had 26″ Schwalbe Smart Sams a couple of years ago. Planet X sold them. Might be worth checking there?

Just decided to stick with 26″. Bought a rigid fork 44.5cm adjusted for 4″ travel forks.

Means I can use existing wheels as I probably should be keeping the cost down a bit 😉

Will still buy a 6 bolt adapter to keep fixed options open 🙂

letmetalktomark

Oodle of room on an iO for 29er/700c wheels.

IIRC I had 42mm tyres fitted with room.

This build was built with a 420mm fork too.

Wheel is sitting in its “closest” posistion:

Edit … too late – must get quicker at finding pics 😳

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed wheel advice’ is closed to new replies.