Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Singlespeed – What ratio for a newbie?
  • drofluf
    Free Member

As I can’t wait for the Alfines to arrive I’m having my Swift built as a singlespeed.

What’s the consensus for a good starting ratio?

Obviously I should MTFU and go for 52:11 but in the real world 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends where you ride. I usually mince round the south lakes and I find 33/17 ok. Somewhere around a 2:1 ratio depending on how hilly it is

john_l
    Free Member

Gear down a bit for the bigger wheels – 32:18/19 would be a good starting point.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, thats a point. A swift is 29inch wheels innit. 32:19 might be best then?

bigdonx
    Free Member

I started with 32/20 (29″) and was glad I did, think if i’d gone straight for the “classic” 32/18 I’d have given up with ss – the hills would have beaten me.

Few hills involved in my local ssing routes though

jonb
    Free Member

You probably want something around 2:1

I find that in winter an easier gear is better otherwise you just spin on muddy hills.

Personally I’d suggest getting a 32 front and then a 20,18 and 16 rear. As the rear sprockets are cheaper you’ve more scope to play around with your gear.

Start in the middle, 32:18.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

32:16…

But then I live in Cheshire..

And it’s pretty damn flat..

BigJohn

Your ratio should be the one you like whizzing along the good stuff in. So you might have to walk up a hill or two, but that’s better than spinning out in your favourite singletrack.

shortcut

I am rung a 29er single with 32 18 and it works fine for me. If you are somewhere with big hills ms not used to ss ing then 32 19 or maybe 20 might be a good place to start!

jon1973
    Free Member

I went for a 36/16 (26″) on mine and I’m really pleased with that ratio. Good all-rounder.

crezzy

i find 32/18 a good ratio ,copes pretty well round rivington and darwen

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have started Recently with 32:20 on 26″ wheels. It is a bit slow on the pedally bits but I can manage all my usual climbs with breath stops. I tried 32:16 last weekend and it felt horrible even on road climbs. So back to where I started until I get stronger.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – What ratio for a newbie?’ is closed to new replies.