Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Singlespeed, what chain?
  • D0NK

Quick poll who uses what chain for singlespeeding.
    I was using a 1/8″ (with 3/32″ ring and cog) but it’s died and before it did die it went a bit wonky chain was wavey laterally (if you looked down while pedalling it seemed to go from side to side caused a few chain drops, dunno whether to replace with bmx/track or standard 8spd. Those halflink chains look ok they any good?

thomthumb
    Free Member

not halflink: rubbish.

get a kmc bmx chain

i use a 3/32 bmx ‘race’ chain from charlie bikemonger.
    Izumi track chains are the best ime; but I keep them for the road bike.

Sam

Standard 8 speed SRAM chains work for me.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

KMC Kool. Strong and deep so less likely to come off

D0NK

deep? eh?

Anyone got a problem with using sram power links or simiar?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

SRAM Pc-1, does the job and less than £10.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

tall, high whatever. covers more of the tooth which allows more vertical movement before flying off.

D0NK

Ah, I’d have thought the depth depended on the height of the teeth on the cogs/rings but what do I know?

AdamM
    Free Member

If you’re using 3/32 chainring and cogs, you’re better off using a 3/32 chain (although you can use a 1/8 chain if you really like). The fit is better with a 3/32 chain though.

My normal preference is 1/8 cogs/chainring and SRAM PC-7X chain, althoughmore recent experience with 3/32 chainring and cogs and a SRAM 8-speed chain has also been perfectly fine.

Del

i use izumi super toughness v track chain. surly front ring and WI FW, so it’s of commensurate quality IMO. i’m sure the kmcs and pc1s of this world are fine if you’re using cheaper bits, and if you want why not use a decent quality ‘regular’ 8/9 speed chain if your chainline is good and you use 3/32 cogs?

nickc

It doesn’t matter in the slightest what chain you use. One that fits your cog and chainring, would seem to be the best answer here

MrAgreeable

8-speed Sram here with a Shimano freewheel. Some rings and freewheels (Dicta for example) need a different pitch chain. I’m sure some knowledgeable people on here can tell you what works with what.

Donk, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a powerlink breaking. In fact I understand that the head of Sram has a chain made entirely out of powerlinks… just because he can.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ha Ant, the only time I’ve broken a chain I broke a sram power link. I still think they are excellent things though.

standard and cheap 8 speed chains for my single speed.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

May i suggest a Connex Wipperman Z1 Star Anti-Rust….
    Despite the rubbish name its the one i go back to every time… Very resistant to stretching, singlespeed specific and its strong as ****.
    about £9 on CRC for the bmx size, sits very nicely on a dh single front ring and shimano DX rear cog.
    Oh and the anti-rust finish is ace if you do lots of muddy / wet riding and dont clean it as often as ya should! 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely a chain is a chain, so long as it doesnt break and is light enough.

Junkyard
    Free Member

keep the one you had ….only way I will be faster than you

oldgit
    Free Member

KMC Z510 or the Z710SL To be honest all the chains I’ve tried have been more than fine, I used PC1’s and the galv Wipperman one, but these KMC chains seem to run so smoothly and suffer little from stretch.
    I do run the slotted SL over the summer only coz I is a ponce.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m using a 10 speed Dura-Ace chain (I had one lying around that had been cut too short) on my new SS without the slightest problem.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a KMC Kool BMX chain to replace the KMC chain I’ve been running for about a year
    it’s used on a road bike running big gearing – I wouldn’t trust a non-SS chain not to snap

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed, what chain?’ is closed to new replies.