Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Singlespeed twiddling ratio questions
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

Just singlespeeded an old retro cdale.

Its a small frame, im using a 32t front ring, halflink chain and a 15t rear, this is the perfect ratio for me, but the chain bags very slightly and slips when i power down

So tried a 17 cog on the back chain is taught and doesnt slip but too easy to pedal

Im only going to be riding this bike up and down a bridleway which is flat so i could go down on the rwar cog a bit…

Can anyone tell me if it is posdible to wirk out from the above what the working ratios options willbe?

Btw i could just fit a tensioner but id rather not, and id rather avoid trial and error with lots of ring combinations

Its not a slotted frame either and an eccentric bb isnt an option

qwerty
    Free Member

this will help with ratios:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

as for magic ratios it’ll be trial and error with cogs and sprockets

White Industries Eccentric Eric hubs are great for V braked bikes but a tad expensive and rare 2nd hand

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Btw i could just fit a tensioner but id rather not,”

Yes I wanted that because it’s a clean look and feel. The 32:20 was magic for me and good for hilly stuff around here. But very quickly the chain began to wear-in and get slack so I had to fit a tensioner anyway. They are no hassle really, and they enable you to pick the ratio you want for your riding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed twiddling ratio questions’ is closed to new replies.