• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sp.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • singlespeed surly krampus ?
  • nimo
    Free Member

Anyone done it ? over the last year I have reduced down to one bike only, a singlespeed fully rigid inbred 29er. What a revelation it has been ! no maintenance, no tuning, lovely. anyway I ride anything on this and the only critisism is not quite enough mud clearance on the back. I run conti rubber queens and it is a bit of a tight fit. I am looking at a krampus with possibly 2 sets of wheels, rabbit hole and knards and a normal 29er set. If I go this route it will still be singlespeed. s what are your thoughts?

Mantastic
    Free Member

Do it, but the tyres are shite in mud so won’t be riding it till the spring

ajantom

Yes, do it 🙂 they’re great as an SS.
    I’m not sure why everyone is so down on the tyres, I find they’re fine in most conditions.
    I had the muddiest ride in years in the Quantocks back in the spring. Out of three riders I was the only one who managed to stay upright on some really sloppy singletrack. Think one of them was on Hans Dampfs and the other on Conti Rubber Queens. No they’re not a perfect mud tyre, but I’ve ridden them hard in mud and wet rooty conditions.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The Knards probably won’t be great in the mud but Surly are due to be releasing a new Dirt Wizard 29+ tyre which should handle the sloppy stuff a bit better.
    Not too sure when it’s going to be released though.

mocha
    Free Member

I’m riding an ECR singlespeed at the BearBones200 this weekend. Better mud clearance out back due to longer chainstays. Anyway, have run the Krampus s/s and had no issues, just like any other Surly with the same dropouts. Put a chaintug in there and all’s well.

Oh, yeah, Dirt Wizards will probably be early next year, look like a great tyre.

sp
    Free Member

OP yes great bike and great fun run SS. With ‘normal’ 29er wheel/tyre combo there will be masses of rear mud clearance however with knard/rabbit hole there not much clearance. Also the knard does not clear mud well and like others have said they a poo in the mud anyway but fast as a scolded fast thing over the great summer we have just had, I’ve only ridden the Krampus since i got it in May – its been a hoot. Just contemplating getting a Singular Puffin to keep it company 🙄

Ben_H

OP – how do you find having just a singlespeed as your sole bike?

takisawa2

My only mtb is SS. It can run gears but I’ve never wanted/been bothered to put them on.
    Depends on you.
    Me, suits me fine.

sp
    Free Member

FWIW all bikes are single speed mountain road cross

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed surly krampus ?’ is closed to new replies.