Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SInglespeed slot dropout / EBB options
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a slot drop inbred (great price, nice colours at the moment, and on-one seem to have put a bit of thought into disc mounts). Would an EBB be a much better solution?

Seems much easier to pop the rear wheel out, and saves having to move the brake caliper every month from what I understand (I hate fiddling with brake mounts!)

Any suggestions for good EBB frames? I suspect they will be too pricey new, but might try to get an EBB frame second hand. Dialled bikes Love/Hate looks okay. Chameleon is nice but probably too pricey to get the current style (even second hand!). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tasso
    Free Member

Depends if you are overly concerned with rear wheel removal. My slot dropout bikes go in the car with front wheel off so barring punctures it's not a great problem. Even then it's not massively awkward.

Rarely need to adjust a chain and there's a bit of leeway with disc calipers (Avids in my case).

The on-ones are pretty cheap and nice frames for what they charge.

EBB look neat and supposed to be very good if they are Phil Wood type but never used one myself.

nickc

You can generally set up a slot Inbred so you don't have to eff about with the brake every time, but it's still more hassle than a vertical dropout, depends how often you have to dick about with it I guess

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you flip the QR skewer out on a slot drop Inbred I find that you can twist the axle out of the dropouts. Their chaintugs work well. It does get a touch snug on the rear mech (I'm sorry to say I'm running mine with gears at the moment) but I don't know if that's a Shadow thing or not – my Anthem with a similar mech is equally niggly.

The brake alignment on an Inbred is pretty simple – and well thought out, and blimey – for the money – you'd be looking at almost the price of the Inbred frame for the Phil Wood EBB wouldn't you?! 🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hmm, sounds like only limited extra faff with the inbred, so probably best to save my money then.

Will non-qr skewers be a good idea? I used to run a singlespeed to work with a chai tensioner, and kept bending skewers (partly because it was quite a big gear).

ijs445ra
    Free Member

pixelmix,

I have just split a Sanderson Soloist (link below) in large.

EBB works very well, no creaks, never loosened etc. Would sell for around £170 if interested

http://www.sanderson-cycles.co.uk/soloist.html

Cheers

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Steveo, but sounds a bit big for me.

sp
    Free Member

GrumpyStevo – Member

pixelmix,

I have just split a Sanderson Soloist (link below) in large.

EBB works very well, no creaks, never loosened etc. Would sell for around £170 if interested

http://www.sanderson-cycles.co.uk/soloist.html

Cheers

GrumpyStevo how tall are you?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Sp,

I am 6ft

Cheers
    Iain

mudsux
    Free Member

you could look at the pipedream sirius with slidey mounts and 853 tubes.
    pre-orders now closed tho.

sp
    Free Member

Thanks, looks like it would be a tad too large for me, 5'8½" (the ½" is very critical 😛 ) I currently have a 16" Inbred.

pixelmix
    Free Member

That Pipedream Sirius does look pretty smart. Sliding dropouts which just move the brake mount along seem like a good idea, although a bit pricey.

rp16v
    Free Member

16" soloist for me lovley ride.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SInglespeed slot dropout / EBB options’ is closed to new replies.