Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Singlespeed ratios on a commuter bike…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Looking at buying an uber cheap flat bar 700c Singlespeed as a get to work and pub bike. The ones I’ve seen seem to come with about a 3:1 ratio fitted, which seems bloody high to me!

What’s more normal? The bike will likely be on 32c tyres and fitted with flat pedals, and only have to take into account for a couple of gentle hills. Was thinking more like 44/18 or thereabouts would be better suited than the 48/16 these bikes seem to come set up with…

TiRed

42:16 or 48:18 for commuting. Both are geared to about 69 inches, which equates to 5rpm/mph. So spinning along at 18mph requires 90rpm.

Simples 😀

wheelie

I run a 48 X 19 = 66 gear inches with 25mm tyres. Perfect for South Downs hills commute to Southampton. Thats a 30 mile round trip commute. I’m 62 and moderately fit. I can get up all the hills (mostly seated), just have to spin a bit on the flat.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3:1 doesn’t sound too bad, especially with no hills. Sprocket’s are pretty cheep if it is too high, just swap the 16 to a 20 though, it’s the same as 44/18. Depends how much of a hurry you’re in.

elma
    Free Member

I use 38 x 14 on a 700c commuting bike, its been alright over the summer months but i’m going to 38 x 16 for the winter as i’ve got a bit of a hill and the winds always in my face on the way in. As someone said Dx cogs are cheap at chainreaction only £3 each.

Iain

slimjim78
    Free Member

I always found 42:16 spins out to easily on my flatish commute. would I be best trying 44:16 for size or something else?

jackthedog
    Free Member

I run 44:18 on 700c, which offers a bit of allowance for the hills of Sheffield.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys, though the bike will use a BMX style freewheel I think not a freehub, so might possibly be cheaper to change the chainring and remove a couple of links from the chain, rather than buy new freewheel and new chain.

50/19 tends to be my “commute” gear on my road bike on 25’s at the moment, so I suppose equate that to 32’s and you’re probably looking at a 48/19, or using the original 16T freewheel roughly a 40/16. So I could just hunt out a 130BCD 39T ring on fleabay or something and that would do nicely.

Bike is only for riding in town by the way, furthest it will go will be about a 5 mile journey, with me wearing casual clothes and trainers on it, not kitted up in cycling gear or SPD’s.

jonba
    Free Member

48:16 is a bit high. I used to run it and it was ok with spds as you could use both legs at the same time (push/pull) to accelerate and get up hills. On flats it was too high so I’m now on 48:18 which is much nicer and good for all but very steep or very long hills.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed ratios on a commuter bike…?’ is closed to new replies.