• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeed ratios – easier gear than 48/18?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I moved house recently which means my commute is a little bit hillier, and my 48/18 is a bit of a tall gear when I’m tired.

My freewheel isn’t in the best condition so was thinking about replacing it with a better quality one and going for 19 teeth instead.

Alternatively, is dropping to a smaller chainring a better idea? Maybe to 46?

How much difference will going to a 19t freewheel make? I’m not after a massive change, just a little easier. I currently spin out c 23mph and don’t want to go too much lower and lose this top end speed

clubber
    Free Member

48/18 = 2.67
    48/19 = 2.52

2.52 / 2.67 = 94.6% = eg it’ll be 5% easier

You’ll also spin out 5% earlier eg at 23 x 94.6% = 21.7 mph

nbt

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

on most road cassettes there would be a 2-3T jump from an 18T, so about 1/3 or a gear – **** all really.

TiRed

A 19T freewheel will make little difference. 46:18 would be my choice to gear down. I bought a used langster which had 42:18 freewheel and it was far too low (it’s 42:16 now – the standard choice for rolling terrain).

If you ride it fixed, it sometimes feels like a cog lower because the drivetrain is more efficiently coupled to your legs.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don’t know what freewheel you are running but I do know Shimano ones only come in 16, 17 and 18T so I would have to swap the chainring instead.

D0NK

it’s 42:16 now – the standard choice for rolling refrained

I’m running this on my CX, find it a bit spinny on road TBH.

How long have you been doing the route? Can I suggest mtfu – see if you acclimatise?

TiRed

I’m running this on my CX, find it a bit spinny on road TBH.

Fixed or free? You can spin much better when fixed, so it doesn’t feel that low. It’s geared for 80rpm at 16.5 mph. So a reasonable cadence/speed range of 80-120 or 16-24, with “excursions” to 30 downhill.

tomaso
    Free Member

42×16 on Langster for my flatland commute spins up to 25mph and can go beyond but it gets a bit much. Spin spin spin

D0NK

TiRed ignore me, I read 42×18 but quoted 42×16 which is a gnats chuff away from 48×18 anyway. 42×18 is on my CX and as you said too low on road.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed ratios – easier gear than 48/18?’ is closed to new replies.