• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mrl.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Singlespeed ratio for commuting
  • mrl

I know 32/16 seems to be the preferred off road ratio. I was thinking around 44/16? It will be on a 26 wheel bike with slick tyres used in London. Will probably also use it for some longer journeys but not many.

Cheers

juan
    Free Member

i use 44/18 works fine for me as I like to spin plus there is a steepish hill on my commute.
    I would say 39/16 or 42/18 could be nice too depending if you're a spinner or a grinder

2tyred

48:16 for commute with hilly bits in Glasgow. Only a couple of hills in the city I won't make it up, so just avoid them! Got 44:16 on the hack, its OK but I prefer the 48. 700c wheels, that is.

Sam

On 26" wheels 44/16 should work out pretty well. Start off at around 70" and see what works for you. I actually just fitted a 50-19 (700c) and it's working out surprisingly ok and means you can get along on the flat at a much better clip.

clubber
    Free Member

I found 48×18 about right on my road SS. Mtb with slicks will be slightly smaller wheeled than a road bike so you could up it a bit or stick with that for good acceleration in traffic.

falkirk-mark

Why not use a geared bike in the one gear for the journey and work out what ratio suits your own journey

juan
    Free Member

48:16 :O **** me some of you are very very powefull
    Or buggering your knees

clubber
    Free Member

or ride a lot on the flat. as I said above, 48×18 worked for me and I climbed some pretty steep hills on that so 48×16 would be fine for the flat.

Bernaard
    Free Member

I use 33/13 on a 12m commute, with 2.3 slicks. Not too spinny either.

BigJohn

I've got 36:15 on a 27" wheel bike.

But remember that a 27" wheel is bigger than a 29" wheel. They're both bigger than 26", but a 28" (700c) is the same as a 29".

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I found 44:16 good with 1.5" slicks on a 26" wheel. I changed it from a 48:16 as I don't mind spinning, and was a trafficy route with lots of lights and hills.

votchy
    Free Member

52:13 on flat on 700c

StirlingCrispin

I run 42:16 on a 26" fixie.

Bit high for the first few yards away from the lights but fine once up to speed.
    Depends how much stop/start you have to do.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

32:13 on a 29er

crazy-legs

48:17 on my roadie SS (700c wheels)

james-o
    Free Member

700c bike, 48/18 or 48/17 on road (rolling but no real hills), 39/17 or 40-42/18 off road.

dunno if that helps for a 26" commuter )

mrl

Cheers for the help, I will try a 42 or 44 (which ever I can get cheapest of the classified!) and see how I go.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed ratio for commuting’ is closed to new replies.