Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeed ratio
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

what ratio for on road, the odd hill but nothing too extreme, using 700c wheels. Buying one of those Carrera Subway Zero Singlespeeds today (finally made a commuting bike choice) and i don't want to kill myself cranking out of the saddle all of the time

mcboo
    Free Member

Mine came with 44-18, I found I was spinning out on the flats, 44-16 is just right for my London riding…..do have a couple of decent climbs but I dont have to get out of the saddle anymore, good for strong legs this SS malarky. 44-14 would be perfect for a really flat commute but the ups would be hard work and not good for the knees.

ski
    Free Member

I used 48:18 on my 700c setup, which let me climb anything on my commute but still gave a reasonable pace on the flat and was easy to get going in stop start stuff.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I'm using 42-16. That's in York so not exactly hilly. Just about right for me as far as starting at lights goes. Gives yer legs a good spinny workout on the flats 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Anything under 50:16 would be pathetic for on the road and you're not a real man unless you get at least that.

2tyred

48:16 on 700c fixed here for 10 mile each way in moderately hilly Glasgow. Gives me an 18mph average without spinning out on the flat. Out the saddle on proper hills.

Stoner
    Free Member

49:18 on pompino around malvern.

managed to average 19.6mph in a 10 mile timetrial the other day.

jackthedog
    Free Member

44:18 for hilly Sheffield commute.

A few climbs around the city are out of bounds for that ratio as it's just too hard to push. But I'm not dropping any lower as it's already spinnier than I would like on the flat.

PJ266
    Free Member

52:16 on 26 inch wheels here 😀 although i am in Norfolk, so i dont have to worry about getting up hills.

epicyclo

48/18 in the Highlands.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed ratio’ is closed to new replies.