Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Singlespeed question
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Is there a way to convert a normal road bike into a singlespeed, without the need to have those stupid chain tensioners ruining the look of the bike?
    A friend said hes done it, but was just lucky with the length of the frame/chainstay being the right length.

mmb
    Free Member

does the bike have horizontal dropouts or verticals? if they’re horizontal then yes just slide the wheel back for tension. if they’re vertical the chances are you need a tensioner.

wwaswas

you could also look at an excentrikiser (sp?) eccentric bottom bracket conversion – goes into the BB and allows you to run an HT2 BB but adjust chain tension too.

you can get lucky with a ‘magic’ ratio but these tend to be a problem if you get any chain stretch.

or you could get the dropouts changed by Argos cycles etc if it’s a steel/valuable )to you) frame.

tbh, if you run a pushy up tensioner they’re not very visible – have a look at some of the ones that are on tarty bikes they mount inside the dropout.

andycas
    Free Member

You can buy half links for your chain which works but you will need a chain per cog then tensioner gives option to change cogs without changing chain

epicyclo

Bear in mind a bike designed for derailleur use may have fairly flexy chainstays. Enough flex under pressure and the chain comes off, and your voice rises a couple of octaves.

It’s not a fault, the derailleurs keep the chain in place, and flexy chainstays give a more comfortable ride.

These days there are plenty low cost single speed frames around, and by the time you do a proper conversion you will have spent almost enough to buy one.

The best tensioners are the eccentric type that fit the BB but these are expensive. If you have flexy chainstays the pushup tensioners may be a better option (eg the DMR STS), and used with a guide at the front will protect you against chain drop.

andycas
    Free Member

Sorry mate disagree you can get a chain tensioner like a rear mech 2 jockey wheels superb tension bought mine for £20 new acor is the make and got mine from high on bikes can convert bike for less than £60 you could always use your existing middle ring for the front but everybody to there own I’m more mountain bike so I could be wrong but hey ho have a go

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed question’ is closed to new replies.