Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Singlespeed musings.. (leaving myself a bit open to losing a bike here)
  • weeksy

Yeah I know I said a HT was pointless… but this is a rigid..a Singlespeed rigid actually.

And a 26″. Even better.

Basically thinking of something as a winter laner/byway bike mostly, but also as a bike to take over to Burgundy in a few months, save having the MetaAM on the towbar for 2 days in service stations etc, rather have a cheapo bike on there.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-bikes-on-one-pompino-genesis-io-prices-reduced

FS: Bikes – On-One Pompino, Genesis io – Prices Reduced! « Singletrack Forum

So I can get this IO for £210 posted to me. If I then throw some brakes I have that I’d prefer, a saddle and maybe some nicer grips… I’d have a half decent little toy for winter ?

Any reason not to ?

Where I ride, or where I’m planning on riding it anyway, the toughest hill I plan on I get up in a 38T front with a 24 rear. However I have no idea how this pans out in SS world. All these ratios are a bit confusing.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Looks good for the money to be. Nearly bought one of those myself when I built my SS.

Most people start out 2:1 on gear ratio, and go from there. A 24t sprocket with that front chainring is an easier gear, so you’ll probably find it a bit on the spiny side. Only one way to find out though, try it.

A 19t rear would make 2:1 with that chainring.

Conan257
    Free Member

You could run a 38/24 on a single speed, but it’s not very standard.

Otherwise you’d be looking something like a 30/18….

Bear in mind though, if you want to spin up a climb, to acheive that you’ll need a gear which won’t work on the flats/downs…

Singlespeeding, in my experience, involves a much larger gear than you may be used to, and mashing the pedals to get up a hill…

32/16 is standard. I’m using something like 42/16 on the road and I’m not a fit lad.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

32/18 here using the ‘sit, stand, or push’ philosophy I can get up nearly anything. The iO frame is really nice and hard wearing.

cookeaa

Get the IO, use it for winter to save your beloved FS’ bearings and gizmos, and keep you actually riding rather than grimacing out the window at a bit of rain…

Standard practice for a 26″ SS is to start with 2-1 gearing (or 1.8-1 ish for the same sort of results on a 29er, about 52 gear inches basically) then just see how much of a jessie you really are and change the sprocket size accordingly…

32-16 is a good starting point, of if using that 38t chainring, start wih 38-19, don’t forget the bike is a wee bit lighter (hopefully) and without the give of springy bits more of your effort goes into turning the back wheel rather than wibbling a spring…

weeksy

Thanks lads. 🙂

I’ll get it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed musings.. (leaving myself a bit open to losing a bike here)’ is closed to new replies.