Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Singlespeed MTB. What's out there?
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Budget is about 1k, less to keep MrsS happy.
    I’m not bothered about wheel size.
    Rigid is a preference but not a deal breaker.

3-2-1 go!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Wrong bloody forum.
    Feel free to move.

fin25
    Free Member
    fin25
    Free Member
    fin25
    Free Member

If you want to build it there is Stooge

If you want to build it cheap there is inbred

fin25
    Free Member

Slightly over budget, but will be my next bike

pugsley ss

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wish you hadn’t linked to that page, fin25.
    Lovely but out of budget.

fin25
    Free Member

For that money, the cannondale is a bloody steal.
    If you want value for money, the cannondale wins.

breadcrumb

Kona Unit. Dusted mine off after neglecting it for about 6 months, it’s brilliant- it’ll be my go to bike for a while now.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

don’t go for a Kona Big Unit, the tubing resembles a coke can in thickness

tazzymtb

The answer is stooge or a singular swift if you want a bit more racey. Easily build either for uner a grand, both companies a run by enthusiastic loons with great back up support and having been riding ss for years they are some of the best bikes out there for

takisawa2

Heaven forbid, but if I ever had to replace my old SIR.9, (& Niner had shut shop, & all old frames were melted down under some new law), I always liked the look of the El-Mar from Salsa; but I don’t they have an issue getting over here at the moment…?

But, that Andy chap from Stooge…you know he certainly knows his onions.
    Yeah, I’d happily plop myself on a Stooge.
    That new Stooge can run 29+ at the back so that’d be the deal breaker for me, although b+/29+ combo is working well for me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m still half looking for a buyer for my Curtis S1. 17″ frame, 26″ wheels, Salsa Cromoto or X-lite carbons, Thomson, Middleburn, XT brakes etc – all top spec stuff in near new condition. Just don’t use it enough.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Singular is in the lead at the moment.
    Keep them coming.

Clink

What sort of riding is it for?

General trails I’d go Stooge – genuinely best riding rigid bike I’ve tried (there have been a few!).

More xc Swift, or race I’ve just got a a Trek Superfly frameset (alu frame, sliding dropouts, carbon fork) which is ace.

drofluf
    Free Member

Has to be a Swift, lovely bikes and versatile

Clink

Has to be a Swift, lovely bikes and versatile

Depends what riding it’s for….

RustyNissanPrairie

+1 for the Cannondale, my 2014 year has been great. Tends to get used for muddy slutchy winter riding, gets hosed off in March then spends summer in the cellar!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What sort of riding is it for?

Cross country, 2 hour plus rides.

cookeaa

Budget is about 1k, less to keep MrsS happy

Trail SL 29 pricier from Evans I would go for the one from triton above.

fashionable ‘Plus’ Cooker midi bet that can be beaten on price too…

kcal

Shand Bahookie – but that’d get you the frame (or go s/h)…

noltae
    Free Member

Inbred frame – Money saved put towards a better wheelset ..

For a grand build up 2nd hand ..

EvilE
    Free Member

I’ve an old Spot frame in the garage (26″) going cheap

boltonjon

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons…

But just built up a fatbike singlespeed and it the most fun bike i’ve ever ridden – huge amounts of rear grip mean you can beast it up hills you have no business getting up 🙂

johnnystorm

Winter’s coming get the Ss Pugsley and save for a pair of 29er wheels ready for next summer to fit it.

fin25
    Free Member

Stop talking johnnystorm, you make too much sense.
    My wife will divorce me…

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a Ti Singular Pegasus for same

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’ve had various single speeds but when I fancied trying a 29er I went for the Cannondale 29 Trail SL SS. it’s not the sexiest option but for the price it’s hard to beat (got mine reduced at Triton – 2014 model I think). The brakes were rubbish so I replaced them with XT straight away. I also put on some Middleburn cranks I had in the spares box. The fork is a bit harsh but in summer I run a 2.35 Hans Dampf tubeless which makes a big difference. There’s masses of clearance at the front but not so much at the rear. Overall I really like the bike and a few strategic upgrades have made it even better.

Sam

If you are as tall as your name might suggest I can do you a killer deal on an XL Swift, and bits to make it whole if need be….

kerley
    Free Member

If you go secondhand and 26 you can get nice frames if prepared to wait for one.

I spent £900 total and ended up with an 8kg titanium framed, rigid forked bike with a nice spec as frame was only just over £200 including a lightweight Bushnell EBB.
    When not having to buy gears and suspension forks you have a lot of money in £1000 to get good stuff.

People moved away from single speed a while ago and 26 wheels more recently so prices are low.

I looked at things like the Cannonade but know I would just start swapping things out and it would soon become more expensive than the Ti bike I built up.

kongman28
    Free Member

My medium Trail SL is on the bay at the moment. It finishes tonight. It’s a great bike, I just don’t ride it enough.

CheesybeanZ

My 2p worth
    Inbred felt heavy and dead , Swift luvly ride and clean looking lines in SS mode , Karate Monkey rode well , Salsa El mariachi rides as good as the swift not quite as tidy looking with sliding dropouts but more about 2nd hand .

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just to add, I’m only looking for £400 for my Curtis.

ben98
    Free Member

Karate monkey every time

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Love my cannondale, but after replacing the awful brakes and EBB it wasnt as much of a bargain as i thought.

cardo

+1 for the Swift… love mine.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Singular Swift FTW

flange100
    Free Member

I believe there is a ss stooge for sale in the classifieds 😆

rollodes
    Free Member

I have a singular pegasus 29er (titanium) with niner fork that I’m planning to sell. Size large. Like the swift but lighter and lovelier! I could just about sell it for under £1k as a full single speed build… email rollodes@gmail.com if interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed MTB. What's out there?’ is closed to new replies.