Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed – how often to maintain fitness?
  • cinnamon_girl

I discovered that when I stopped singlespeeding, any "fitness" very rapidly disappeared.

Appreciate this is different for everyone but, for example, if I were to singlespeed once a week and used gears the other times, would I be able to maintain singlespeed fitness?

Please don't tell me to singlespeed every time though. 😉

Thank you so much. 🙂

Nick

Not sure I've found a difference between Single Speed fitness and geared fitness, hadn't ridden mine for about 2 months but had to yesterday at Llandegla as the geared bike is broken, found it easy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Since SS'ing is more like inerval training than regular geared riding, even once a week would make some difference, but the more often the better.

plumber
    Free Member

I found I just prefered S/S anyway

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you just limit singlespeeding to the periods between changing gears you should be fine.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies. 🙂

I do like riding with gears but my intention of ss'ing through Winter didn't materialise. I rode it today and ended up walking a lot, couldn't believe how bad I was.

What I don't want to do is exclusively ride ss but totally appreciate it has to be worked at. Just trying to get an idea of how often!

dobo
    Free Member

cg, what ratio you using? if on hilly terrain no harm droping a gear

i get the reverse effect to you, when i solely SS then get on the road i find that my ability to maintain a high gear is reduced

i recon once a week might maintain what you want to keep for a while but will slowly drop off, 2x week would maintain it properly, 3x a week would increase it.
    purley dobo scientific geuess work though..

cinnamon_girl

Hi there dobo! 32:18, used to have 32:16. I know that riding ss regularly pays dividends but my mid-life crisis bike ends up feeling unwanted! I think you're right, twice a week it is. 🙂

Can you make the Winchester Forum Ride on 8th May? There will be a Whippets Group for you! Terrific route, even if I say so myself.

dobo
    Free Member

yer keep at it on the 32:18 i recon, it'll come back
    i did my 2nd short ride tonight up lordswood since i messed my knee up playing football, so i'm not exactly very whippet at the moment, infact i have to use flat pedals as it hurts my knee too much and i cant do a drop off a curb without the shock upto my knee giving me a feeling of uncertainty of my knee giving out.
    that said its healing and feels stronger every day, i might give the purbecks ride a go, if i can make it i'll do the winchester ride as well

epicyclo

cinnamon_girl – Member
    … 32:18, used to have 32:16. I know that riding ss regularly pays dividends but my mid-life crisis bike ends up feeling unwanted! …

I have the answer! Singlespeed it too. 🙂

This means when you come to sell it you can offer it with an unworn drivetrain (after converting it back).

cinnamon_girl

dobo – sorry to hear you've been injured. Football really 😯 Hope to see you at the Purbecks/Winchester!

epicyclo – I could but I love my mid-life crisis bike. 😀 Actually Ti would be pretty darn fast as an ss wouldn't it. 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – how often to maintain fitness?’ is closed to new replies.