Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Singlespeed- how hard is it really?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just another point, go easy.on the gear ratios. I started in 32-18 (29er) then tried 32-16 and actualy slowed down overall. Tried 32-19 and average speeds went up by almost 10 minutes in the hour!

Pick the lowest gear that you can spin continuously on the flat, then go one lower. You’ll tire keeping up on the flat, but its a different tired (more cardio) than the brute strength needed for climbing. Beimg matcho with big gears doesnt work IME.

VanHalen

Defo makes you fitter. I tend to go ss in the summer when there is less clag to slow you up. Don’t understand ss in winter as you just spin out on muddy climbs which is pretty much all we have down south. I was surprised how much it didn’t hurt unless it was a big Hill. Then it hurt lots.

jameso

Most of the time it’s a bit easier, and some of the time it’s a lot harder. It averages out and somehow feels both easier and harder. So it’s different. I prefer it for long rides but for really long rides I’d use some gears. Depends. Try it )

stumpy01

Nick – Member

Can’t you just go out for a ride on your current bike using a gear ratio that you expect to use were you to get a singlespeed, then don’t change gear for the entire ride? Hey presto – singlespeed.

Not the same, heavier drive train, more drag through the drive train, psychological knowing you can change gear

Heavier drive train, yes. But presumably the OP has got sus forks on the bike and he mentioned getting a rigid bike too.
    More drag through the drive train – ahem. Through the rear mech? Perhaps a teeny tiny amount – likely to be unmeasureable. Chainline? Again, perhaps a teeny tiny amount.
    Psychologically you can change gear – true. Just don’t.

I am not suggesting the OP does this as a permanent solution; rather try it once or twice and see how he gets on. The OP has come on here asking people who have no idea about his fitness levels or where he rides, how hard is it to ride a SS bike?
    It’s easy, I say…….but I ride round Thetford and am an Olympic cyclist (I’m not really)
    It’s really hard, someone else says…..but he is 5 stone over weight and rides around the Lake District.

Much better for the OP to just get out and ride without changing gear and see how he gets on, than taking advice from people on a forum about ‘how hard it is’…..

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Can’t you just go out for a ride on your current bike using a gear ratio that you expect to use were you to get a singlespeed, then don’t change gear for the entire ride? Hey presto – singlespeed.

Doesn’t work, you will bail out or shift up a gear on the flats. Part of learning to SS was learning to take flats easy and storm up the hills. Theres also the reliability of it, I’d feel wary of riding my geared bike like the SS, you can really jump on the pedals when you stall on a climb to get it going over a root or rock, no worry about whether the chain can take it, no wory about anything slipping, or it jumping gears etc. To climb at the same pace as a geared bike you might be using 2x the torque, at a peak i wouldnt be supprised if its 10x a nice smooth riders torque, which is why you dont want ramped chainrings or weak chains.

Funny that, because I tried it a few times and guess what? It did work. I selected a gear ratio close to (it might have even been the same as) one that a friend uses on his SS and went for a ride or three.

I exercised a modicum of self-control over my thumbs and fingers, so didn’t change gear when it was ‘too hard’ or ‘too spinny’.
    My chain never slips (as a rule) and I have never snapped a chain (erm, actually might have broken a SRAM chain years ago, but I don’t use them anymore) so I don’t see why this would be a problem just for a few rides to get used to the idea of riding a SS bike. And if the OP has not ridden SS before, he is unlikely to have the same crank bending/chain snapping leg power that you SS riders have, so he should be safe.

letmetalktomark

Mike @Dialled Bikes is selling off some Love/Hate frames dirt cheap at the minute..

Awesome Frames IMHO.

Love mine.

Where exactly 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Just another point, go easy.on the gear ratios. I started in 32-18 (29er) then tried 32-16 and actualy slowed down overall. Tried 32-19 and average speeds went up by almost 10 minutes in the hour!

This also is true – I’ve been running 32:18 (29) in Surrey for a year happily I put a 22 on the back for a trip to a very hilly part of Wales, now I’m back home I’m definitely preferring the lower gear in the current mud, it’s much easier to keep going. I have a feeling I’ll settle on a 20T in the end.

mattjg
    Free Member

(smaller gear also spins up quicker for attacking steep stubby climbs)

nbt

ScandAl by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

rigid 29er ss rocks the world. Cardo appears to be reading my mind.

madjak
    Free Member

Sacrificed mine to build a 2×9 for general riding and miss it terribly. So I’m getting another hard tail so I can have both.

I found it harder on the hills as there is no where to hide, get up on the pedals and push. Easier on the flats as you cant keep pushing another gear.

I did get much fitter and build upper body muscle but just love the simplicity of them. Especially in winter, just kick the mud off and it ready for the next ride!

Those who say “its not so hard, there is no point so I’m not going to” that’s your choice but everyone knows Single Speeds are for the hardcore, they may just not be for you:wink:

Can’t wait to get one going again 🙂

Mattbike

Add Kona Unit to the list. I’ve been riding mine for a few months. +1 for winter night riding. Simple, quiet, no risk of gears getting bent or clogged up with mud. A 12 mile ride out on the SS is more of a work out than on my geared bike so when I jump on it on the weekend I’m a little quicker, stronger. It will be hard to start and don’t be afraid to get off and push.

yetidave
    Free Member

I have a Swift, in SS and its great. Often riding in a group and don’t drop out the back on moderate climbs. Spinning out on the flat is an issue, but wouldnt change gearing for that, have a gear to get up most of the hills, if some are steaper, get off and appreciate the view..I think that the 29er helps with the momentum thing you need with SS.

samuri
    Free Member

And obviously, if you only ride singlespeed and not fixed, you’re only half way there.

bigblackshed

Snapping chains?

I run a KMC 9 speed. Haven’t snapped it yet and I’m 18 stone with guns like Hoy. ***

***3 out of those 4 are true. 😉

Keef
    Free Member

it’s like riding a bike…..
    what I mean is it’s like the first time you rode without stabilizers when you were a kid (probably a rigid SS) and you were like amazed and in awe and thought’this is the best ever,I can ride ANYWHERE i want on my bike’!
    well,that’s the feeling…..
    😀
    well for me anyway.

epicyclo

You don’t need gears in your legs to get up a hill, so why would you need them on your bike?

All that happens if you use gears is you train your body to produce power in a narrow cadence range.

Then when you jump on a proper bike (SS) it feels hard.

It’s not hard, it’s just your inadequately used muscles not being up to the job. Give it a couple of weeks and you’ll cure that problem.

Bonus! The money you save by not having fast wearing rubbish like derailleurs, shifters, cables, paper thin cassettes and chainrings, means you have more money to spend on shiny bits for the bike.

40mpg

Couple of other things to consider:

I use a shorter stem for SS (and a smaller frame) to give a more upright position. You’ll be putting more stress through your body, and getting more shock through a rigid fork, so upright = comfier and a bit easier on my ageing back.

I also run a fairly chunky front tyre for a bit more bounce with rigid forks.

taxi25
    Free Member

Defo makes you fitter.

True up to a point, but after a while not being able to push on the downs and flats hurts overall fitness. I’ve dabbled a few times but always gave it up because of this. Still fun though and would deff like a super light fully rigid s/s when I can free up some space in my shed.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Third post in was correct. Its as hard as you want it to be.

I’d never have a rigid SS as my only bike but as something that shows regular trails in a new light they’re great.

Moe

I’ve got a 29 Scale and a 26 Charge Duster SS (not rigid, though it has been), I ride the Scale to work but can’t help looking to the SS most other times!

sparkyrhino

Love my steel rigid ss its my first choice for local rides,great when riding with other ss’ers,you can really get a good groove on,and share the pain/pleasure of those long draggy climbs.Running 36-18 find it spot on for me and my location.Fat front tyre, skinny trailraker on back at the moment to deal with the slop.

TiRed

Love it. Started mtbing on a Unit 29er rigid, then switched to a Genesis ioid 26er with front suspension. The addition of suspension was a big shock/improvement and the 32×17 is a slight heresy. The bars, however. The bars are what attract the most attention as I pass people on the climbs. Soma Sparrow (inverted) and ergon grips.

Try it. You’ll soon forget about changing gear. Just pick am appropriate ratio. 32×17 for me works well as I like spinning.

igm

Gears is just marketing to make you buy stuff.

Official STW FACT.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheap Love/Hates on Mike’s Facebook page…

guitarhero
    Free Member

I bought a rigid ss 29er (Genesis Fortitude) last year, intending to use it as a winter commuter, but riding it round my local trails, I was amazed at how capable it was. Enjoyed it so much, I probably ride it more than my Orange Alpine now. Love it.

Candodavid
    Free Member

SS makes sure none of your core muscles can hide, it’s gonna hurt, of course, you’ll soon get stronger, or wuss out and give up then flog it for a loss on the STW for sale section
    😆

flashes
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand On One Inbred SS 6+ years ago! still have it, still use it the most, loads of bikes have come and gone but I’ve 7 bikes now with 7 gears between them……

mattjg
    Free Member

but I’ve 7 bikes now with 7 gears between them……

That’s a bit extreme. (2 of 2! but one is easily regearable).

Olly
    Free Member

friend of mine at uni used to run SS (with a tight tensioner) on his mini DH bike. Figured if your not racing, it just makes you smoother, less to rattle, no mech to knock off. 🙂

plus-one

Not hard at all …

h4muf
    Free Member

My parts bin special!

2013-12-29 12.26.04 by h4muf, on Flickr

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Joining the SS love in party that appears to going on here – yep it’s fantastic did it on rigid 26 for a couple of yrs loved it now gone rigid 29 & getting an even bigger thrill 🙂

VanHalen

Dunno what hills you are pushing yourself in gears down but mine have too many corners to pedal at all really besides if you can pedal down it it’s not much fun so I don’t bother withbthose. I’m no racing snake though so my fitness gain is mahoosive;)

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t find SS on the downs and twists a handicap at all, in fact I think I ride smoother because the bit of my brain working out the ‘best’ gear is turned off or used elsewhere. Even with my gears on I tend to set it to something spinny and leave it.

Maybe sometimes I could be marginally faster, on a flatter trail, with gears. Who cares.

core

My ss 26″ inbred with dmr tensioner, thought it would be horrendous, but is actually surprisingly nice, and the simplicity of it is refreshing, need a front brake before I take it down any big hills though! Oh, I’d like 29er forks at some point.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Wouldn’t want to run rigid all the time, but it’s good to have a lock out on my Lefty.

MikeWW
    Free Member

SS great fun and ridden ss rigid just about everywhere including CYB, Penmachno, Brechfa, Innerliethen etc

Think its a great way to get fitter and good for increasing upper body strength……..but in the end actually get a better work out from a geared bike which is noticeable quicker.

Sold up in the end

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I converted my Scott Scale 26″ to rigid SS and it is absolutely amazing. First time I rode it was at a Gorrick Masters xc race and I won it by 2 mins.
    Weighs 18lbs and features a 2.4 front tyre at 15psi to grab every root.
    Fearsome 36/15 gear ratio because I am a racing snake.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed- how hard is it really?’ is closed to new replies.