• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Singlespeed gearing for mixed terrain – from flat to 15 degree hill
  • brooess
    Free Member

I want to get a s/s for commuting, much less hassle than a geared bike.

What kind of ratios/inches should I look for? I live at the bottom of the hill which goes up to Crystal Palace (15%?) so have to climb that first thing out of the house, then the rest of the ride is almost entirely flat…

Trying to avoid getting a gear which is low enough to get up the hill but will mean I spin out for the rest of the ride. But also want something that means the hill isn’t a sufferfest

Keef
    Free Member

70″ ish.

Keef
    Free Member

Fixed.

glupton1976
    Free Member

42:18 on 700c.

Kato

Ooof Anerley Hill?

annebr
    Free Member

How long is the hill?

If it’s long enough to warrant its own gearing perhaps a dinglespeed would be better.

Kato

If it’s the steep one at Anerely Hill then I reckon it’s about half a mile. If it’s Crystal Palace Park Road on the other side of the park then it’s more like a mile, but not as steep

miketually
    Free Member

A ratio that will allow you to spin along at a decent clip on the flat will be low enough to grind up a short hill.

brooess
    Free Member

It’s the hill from Sydenham – on the eastern side of the park, luckily.
    About a mile I’m guessing.
    But still – not fun straight out of the house!

nikk
    Free Member

/pedantic mode

15 degrees isn’t 15%

15% is more like 8 degrees

plumber
    Free Member

32:16 would be my prefered ratio having done that hill on that ratio and 32:18

huws
    Free Member

According to strava (keeper of the knowledge) the hills to the east of Crystal Palace average around 4-4.5% and top out at 12%.

On a fixed/SS road bike that should be doable comfortably and quickly with only a little bit of grunting on 70GI +. Something around 49-18 would be fine.

*caveat, I’ve only ever driven up those hills and have not actually cycled up them*

TiRed

42:16 fixed. It’s a mile not an alp 😉 . 48:18 is the same gear.

kilo

I’d go slightly lower for a starter commuter 66″ so 43×17 so as not to risk knee damage til you’re used to it then maybe up to 70ish

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed gearing for mixed terrain – from flat to 15 degree hill’ is closed to new replies.