Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Singlespeed F/S bikes – show me yours please :D
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

After whinging about singlespeeding in the mud then briefly rebuilding my Blood which proved no easier with 8 more gears I now have a little Cove Hooker on the way and am quite keen to give F/S S/S a go again (I’ve owned a couple of Kona Cowan DS bikes in the past) so just ordered a Zinger tensioner from Superstar. I’m guessing I’d need a top guide up front too.

Show me your set-ups please 😛

tazzymtb

mamadirt
    Free Member

Loving that Killswitch 8) . What’s the bottom one?

tazzymtb

it’s a lenz 29er SS fully. Uses the pivot bearings around the BB like the old Kona A, so chain tension stays constant.

tazzymtb

solid flair

Damn you mama, i’ve got urges for a SS loony play bike now!!!!

RustyMac

crosses fingers and hopes this is an n+1 bike and you have not sold the blood?

mamadirt
    Free Member

He he, go on, you know you want to. Flair looks good – quite a bit of travel for an S/S though.

When I pressed ‘buy’ for the Hooker I’d not given a thought to singlespeeding it – just fancied getting rid of everything (BMX and Blood frame are now sold and the lovely Sanchez frame will be hitting a well-known auction site later tonight) and replacing the lot with a do-it-all frame – but took the Sanchez out for a farewell blast this morning and figured I’m gonna miss singlespeed too much 😕

mamadirt
    Free Member

Rusty, yes the Blood is now sold . . . but check this out 😛

Quite a few images online singlespeeded. I’m excited! Pimp my Hooker! 😆

RustyMac

Don’t get me wrong it is a lovely looking frame but i thought the blood may have been a bike for life for you…

Guess i should have known better!

mamadirt
    Free Member

i thought the blood may have been a bike for life for you…

Guess i should have known better!

Me too! Never say never, eh? 😆

mamadirt
    Free Member

All done and it’s rather blinkin’ nice 😛

Singlespeed too . . . gears are now sold . . . commitment or what?

One bike . . . one gear . . . what could possibly go wrong? 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Mine isn’t SS but it is alfine, I should get some pics of it up really

RustyMac

looks good that does, needs blue hubs though 😉 think your next upgrade should be some blue pro 2 evos on flow or arch ex rims.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, pics please. Never ran my Absolut singlespeed – wish I’d given it a go now . . . so quiet.

Hmmmmm, gold hubs surely. I can feel more bling coming on 😛

I just know there are gonna be tears when this gets scuffed 😉 despite it being well helicopter-taped . . .

tomhoward

Very nice!

All hubs should be gold, as should all rims, spokes and nipples be black….

Rickos
    Free Member

Kona Howler. Missed my old one so bought another to singlespeed and fit a shorter shock to slacken and lower it. Also had the seat tube reamed by18 Bikes to fit a dropper.

Kona Howler SS by Rick T., on Flickr

Untitled by Rick T., on Flickr

mamadirt
    Free Member

That looks great Rick – perfect do-it-all bike right there! I’ve never owned a Howler (actually that’s not true – I bought one off ebay once but it turned out to be a 15.5 not a 15 and was quite a long frame so sold it on). Had a couple of Cowan DS frames though and a Dudu, hence the interest in the Hooker.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll try get some pics tomorrow.

You’ll have to report on how well that tensioner runs as I’m not a huge fan of horizontal dropouts so a tensioner is ideal but I’ve had problems with single arm ones before

Stoner
    Free Member

Wot no DMR Bolts? Is disappoint 🙁

Love the idea of that salsa, but that’s just not a pretty execution of it. The seatstays/actuation rocker just dont look right.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Bolt never comes up second hand

I’ve offered to buy the 853 sample off dmr as it is supposedly much lighter

mamadirt
    Free Member

Tensioner seems fine so far – I’m running a longer chain with not a massive amount of tension just to see how things go (looks like Rickos has his set up a little tighter) and I’ve run it all week without the front guide with no problems – seems pretty taut. I guess a top guide is a bit belt ‘n’ braces but hey, it keeps the oil off my furry Converses on the commute 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be a good option then, annoyingly I only need to take up 3/4 of q link at most

Rickos
    Free Member

I run a bash guard and a Raidium guide on the inside (like a skinny bash guard that mounts on the granny ring tabs) but that’s more for when I switch to the 10 speed set up.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yes, I reckon the rear tensioner is probably more than enough but it’s good to have something up front for piece of mind. Mine is a Superstar branded model but yours looks identical Rick.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed F/S bikes – show me yours please :D’ is closed to new replies.